Thread: Cherry and tung oil

Cherry and tung oil

I put a first coat of pure tung oil on a cherry blanket chest that I had initially sanded to 220. A line that marked the dovetail line on the front emerged after that first coat. The line wasn't visible until the coat went on. After 24 hours I sanded the line out and also an inch or so "in" from the line. When I rubbed new tung oil on the now bare area, it comes out much lighter than the surrounding oiled cherry. It is noticeable to me but may not be a deal killer on the project. Should I:
    1. Let it sit for a day or two to see if it will darken? (My preferred option)
    2. Sand out the entire front of the chest and re-oil it?
    3. Some other option I haven't thought of?

Thanks

Keith Nordyke

It is rotated but this should indicate the issue. See light area at bottom.

blanket chest.JPG

Curious, did you wipe off glue around the joints, or scrap it off after it set?
    I've had issues such as this from glue residue. Just a guess.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I would wait 4 or 5 days to see what happens. Cherry is notorious for oxidizing quickly and this may yet blend into the surrounding area. Hopefully it won't end up splotchy....
    When you sanded the line away, you broke through the oxidized layer on the cherry. Probably would've been better to sand out a larger area and feather it out a bit more, however this may still work out.

Should it not be to your liking after that period of time, then you could sand the entire side thoroughly then apply the tung oil.

I think to have the whole side be the same color/shade, you’ll have to sand the side either fully off, or at least until you have a uniform color. I’ve tried many times to attempt a spot repair on an oil finish and almost always end up sanding the whole thing back because the oil brings the slightest differences.
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 02-09-2020 at 1:15 AM.

I think Gustav might be right. I'd let it sit for a week and see if the light areas darken. It may take longer than that for it to catch up to the rest but if you see it darken then there's a good chance it eventually will.

John

Agree with the above...give it some time to see if it darkens and blends on its own. You could set it in front of a window towards the light. Might speed things up a bit.

Thanks all. I ended up sanding down the entire front and reapplying the tung oil. Although the area did darken a little, it was still noticeable and sanding it out was the best option.