Thread: Satin finish for electric guitar

Satin finish for electric guitar

Hi folks. I am building my first electric guitar. I am a mediocre woodworker and a worse guitar player, but I want to know if I can. You can see some build pictures here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z_...esFsuDXPZMMD7c

As you can see it's a PRS style 22 fret. 24.625 scale. Short. The red in the neck is lyptus wood I picked up at a rockler swap meet. It is a neck through. Feel free to comment with tips and suggestions. I would love the feedback.

ANYWAY,

I am here for finish suggestions. I am looking for a matte or satin finish. What do you like and not like and why.

Have a great day.

You're doing a very nice job on that build, Mitchell! (I, too, recently started building for the enjoyment as I can't really play much due to surgery on my left wrist a few years ago, etc)

I use waterborne finishes exclusively and am using Target Coatings products as well as General Finishes "milk paint", which is a colored acrylic, not real milk paint. They spray beautifully. Both manufacturers offer a matte finish in their clears. The biggest challenge with doing a matte or satin finish is how you get there and still refine the finish surface to an uber-smooth result. Direct out of the gun isn't always pleasing in that respect. Based on my experience to-date with leveling using MicroMesh, I think one can achieve a "not glossy" look with careful rubbing out and not going to buffing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the violin world, satin varnishes are created with the addition of powdered chalk into the varnish.