Thread: Cold Glue System

Cold Glue System

Not a plug, no affiliation, but we have had a Pizzi in the shop that I was lucky to snatch at auction and have a huge project coming up that would benefit from another and found a company Glue Machinery in MD (USA) that has the identical system for a few bucks less. Landed on UPS last week and is johnny on the spot great machine.

If you do ANY volume of gluing and arent running either a Pizzi or one of these your nuts. Havent picked up a glue bottle in dont know how long. Its one of those hurts at the onset deals but the instant you pull the plug its a no brainer. Glue is constantly pressurized and ready to use.

Thought some may be interested. Phenomenal addition to any shop that runs any reasonable amount of glue. I had switched to titebond projugs with the pump before switching to these and now other than a rare glue bottle around the shop we never use them.

Something I have been contemplating. I only use about 8-10 gallons a year so I was wondering if there is a lot of maintenance? Sometimes I get involved with an on-site project [Versatex] for a month or two and was wondering if when I got back in the shop if I would have a nice mess to deal with if it is not in constant use?

Hasn't been the case for me though I have never gone a month or two just sitting. Initially in consummate over thinking I was taking a piece of light poly and cutting it the diameter of the inner tank and a slit in it, put it around the pickup tube laying on the top of the glue thinking a skin would form but long ditched that extra work.

I just pull the inner plastic tank out periodically and give it a soak and wash it out (maybe once a year). The nozzle sits in a water tank so is always clean. I suppose for long storage you could zip tie a baggie over the end with a little water in it to thwart evaporation.

I got so sick of fighting with plugged plastic tips, them wearing down over time, the perpetual bottle that's half/or a third full.

I seriously considered it weeks ago when someone in the classifieds had a system for $400, i think. Still, $400 to ease the spreading of glue seemed a bit rich for a hobbyist like myself. I run through maybe 6 gallons of glue a year, which puts me in an awkward no-man's land. These systems do seem fantastic, however. I especially like the specialty applicator tips for thicker glue ups. I just did a walnut island yesterday afternoon that was 13-14 laminations(person wanted 'edge grain'). This system would have made short work of that versus me with a glue bottle and a roller.

Yep. I have a 7" wide (180mm) cylinder nozzle on the way. Have about 150 4 ply 3d pressed laminations 12" x 36" to glue up. That 7" nozzle will be essential. Even just the fact of having it sitting there ready to roll, no shaking, re-filling, small bottles. Its very handy. But agreed, would never be a worthwhile addition if you werent gluing up a fair amount regularly. I dont have any idea how much glue I go through a year but its not gobs and gobs. The really issue for me is being a smaller shop even though these things are expensive I need every single speed increaser/labor reducer I can get.

I thought a lot about the roller style applicators for this project but I think the cylinder style will allow a bit more metered application and I don't need to worry about rolling out the glue as it will be pressed.

Those hopper rollers sure would be handy for flvebeer work and so on.

Lots of good options

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    The link says the product has been discontinued by the manufacturer...

Andy - Arlington TX

Yep. Sure does. Great heads up ;-/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post

Andy - Arlington TX
    Last post was a poke/joke. You can stick "glue roller hopper" in any number of search engines and find the above from numerous sources.... ;-)

I have had one for 25 years, Virutex makes it and I believe they still sell them

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post

Andy - Arlington TX

Sorry about the bad link - I've had mine for years, really fast,even application.

There are some much cheaper versions on ebay - no clue about their performance.

Try this: https://www.virutextools.com/index_s...w_family&id=15