Thread: Mystery Bandsaw Identification

Mystery Bandsaw Identification

Hello. Great forum. Been lurking for a while. Just got this bandsaw. It has a V on the top cover and one on the bottom cover. Maybe a 1940s Tom varney saw? 14” throat, 15” wheels, 5’ 10” tall, 125.25” blades, originally red inside and out. Not sure who made it.39C65C33-D6C1-4D7F-93F2-D0289802A77C.jpg933CEA9F-A25A-4999-895C-EF7A9C7A6A35.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Rowell; 02-08-2020 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Add pictures

Wow, that has a very high gizmocity factor!!!

Is it by chance a meat saw? It has the look. Never heard of Tom Varney, and it’s not listed on OWWM.

Looks like it has several speed pulley settings plus a Reeves variable speed setup??

Does it say US Navy somewhere??
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-08-2020 at 1:06 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Looks like it has several speed pulley settings plus a Reeves variable speed setup??

Does it say US Navy somewhere??
    No USN sticker. One guy mentioned he saw one at NAS Cecil Field. It smells like my old ship tho.

That should make a nice lamp stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Hahahaha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    not worth getting it cleaned and set up for wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rowell View Post
    not worth getting it cleaned and set up for wood?
    I think Eugene was making a joke related to another thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....mp-plant-stand

So what are all the gizmos on this saw? It looks like one belt drives a pump of some sort? There's an air connection on the back? And some sort of hydraulic/pneumatic cylinder for....table tilt? ��

Wow Peter,

New member, almost first post, and it looks like you have already stumped the panel.

Welcome to the Creek.

PS: It looks to me like it was specially modified for some sort of metal cutting. I am sure you could use it for wood, but if you have use for metal cutting that is the way I would go.

I would inquire on a metal working forum. You might have scored a real deal.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

PS: It looks to me like it was specially modified for some sort of metal cutting. I am sure you could use it for wood, but if you have use for metal cutting that is the way I would go.

I would inquire on a metal working forum. You might have scored a real deal.
    Rick, Peter, I was thinking the same thing. Looks like it might of had a lube pump and maybe the cylinder is a feed mechanism of some sort. OTOH, I've never seen a saw with a lube system that wasn't covered in oil and that one looks very clean.

I love a good mystery and hope someone can solve this one.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

could be a air pump with overkill on the hose fittings. used to blow off sawdust from the cut line.
    Bil lD

It’s a Jim Vaughan meat saw from the 30s. I removed the auto feed system and the air pump, converted motor to 240v, adjusted pulleys for 2000-3500 fpm, reglued and crowned upper wheel and filled in the two table voids. Thanks for the help.

The blade is 125”. Planning to buy new tires and 3tpi blade. Had to make new blade guides out of ipe wood. Added a guard too. Figuring how to grind an old 5/8” wide metal blade into a resawing blade. Pictures to follow.