Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clearvue CV1800 Noise Reduction Enclosure

85db is respectable, but you'll still want to be using hearing protection
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by PHILIP MACHIN View Post
    I used a Decibel meter app on my Iphone XS with a Bluetooth microphone. Before everyone yells at me, this is a purely QUALITATIVE check :-)
    **One more quick update**
    When I finished running the ducting and sealing everything up it dropped to 85 dB. I don't even think I'm going to bother with the enclosure.
    But if you are going to report numbers and get comments based on those numbers, things move to the quantitative. Maybe a real sound meter would be useful. I don't trust the microphones and sound measuring apps on phones. There are many sound meters available in a wide price range. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EWY67W

I think a sound meter is nice to have around. But then I might not be the best judge of what is nice vs necessary. I also keep a lux/fc light meter, thermocouple reader, precision thermometers, infrared non-contact thermometer, wind speed meter, humidity sensors, capacitance and amperage meters, precision voltage and frequency standards, digital oscilloscope, scales accurate to 1/100 gram, laboratory microscopes...

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    85db is respectable, but you'll still want to be using hearing protection
    Yep, my wife bought me a set of those fancy earplugs with Bluetooth headphones in them.

I really like my Clearvue, but it was very loud when I got it. A properly designed closet is probably the most effective way to quiet it. I did several things to mine which got it down to an acceptable sound level. I put a muffler on the outlet but I'm not sure it helped much. I modified the gore point in the blower and that reduced the 2nd harmonic (700 hz) of the blade pass frequency significantly. It didn't reduce the blade pass frequency (350 hz). There was also a lot of noise emitted from the blower housing. I put sound barrier on it and that helped a lot. Sound barrier blocks sound. Not the same as sound absorption material.
    Last edited by Bill Webster; 02-24-2020 at 7:20 PM.

I used Rockwool, and then hung thick moving blankets on the walls. The acoustic tiles were a waste of money. Plus they keep falling off the ceiling.

The heavy moving blankets added 25+ dB in noise reduction for a very minimal cost. Very highly recommended. I get them on Amazon. Get the heavy ones. Otherwise, the other recommendations above are great.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Webster View Post
    ...I modified the gore point in the blower and that reduced the 2nd harmonic (700 hz) of the blade pass frequency significantly. ...
    Ok, I've forgotten what the gore point is and how to modify it. Is that related to the small block inside the housing. Is all this in the Pentz document?

I made no modifications to mine other than stuffing the empty volume above the spiral chute with fiberglass to keep out the dust.

JKJ

The small block didn't help mine. The gore point is the corner at the outlet where the air is sheared off. I added a wedge in that area.

The small block didn't help mine. The gore point is the corner at the outlet where the air is sheared off. I added a wedge in that area.
    Interesting. Do you have a diagram or sketch of what you did or know where I could find one that shows some detail? So much to learn, so little time...

I tried a couple of google searches and found some nice D-Cyclone Gore-Tex jackets.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Interesting. Do you have a diagram or sketch of what you did or know where I could find one that shows some detail? So much to learn, so little time...

I tried a couple of google searches and found some nice D-Cyclone Gore-Tex jackets.

JKJ
    John, Bill Pentz has some info on Gore Point, but this still leaves me confused how the wedge works.

Search for Gore Point here-> http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking.../equipment.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    John, Bill Pentz has some info on Gore Point, but this still leaves me confused how the wedge works.

Search for Gore Point here-> http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking.../equipment.cfm
    Thanks. I was wondering about the placement, size, and orientation of the wedge that Bill Webster mentioned.

JKJ

Sorry for the delay, it took me forever to find those old 2012 photos of the gore point wedge. They are not very good photos, taken very close in poor light. But I think you will get the idea. The curved piece at the bottom of the tapered sheet metal wedge is plastic. If this modification reduced the efficiency, I couldn't tell.

IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1306.JPG
    IMG_1307.JPG
    IMG_1308.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    Last edited by Bill Webster; 03-07-2020 at 3:26 PM.

Sorry for the delay, it took me forever to find those old 2012 photos of the gore point wedge....
    Thanks for that. I’ll climb up and look at mine with your photos in hand.

I also wrapped the blower housing to reduce noise. Foam does not normally block noise, it's usually used under a barrier to absorb noise energy. But I had some very dense foam from a bed mattress that worked pretty well as a barrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U95TGhwuKxo