Thread: Removing the smell of smoke from chest of drawers

Removing the smell of smoke from chest of drawers

I inherited a walnut chest of drawer from my grandfather and my wife wants to dump them because the drawers smell of smoke

Can members provide advise/suggestions

Currently I am considering lightly sanding the inside of the carcass / drawers with 320 grit sandpaper us a detail and electric sander

Maybe a coat of shellac.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

You could line the drawers with cedar. Spanish cedar has a more subtle odor than red cedar. And, of course, it would be a perfect place to store your cigars.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

A light sanding wouldn't hurt. You might also try dusting the surfaces with baking soda and letting them sit for a few days. Might take at least a couple of passes, as you'll need to do the undersides of the drawers, too. If that doesn't get you to where you want to be, George's suggestion of a coat of shellac makes sense to me.

I'd hate to give up the dressers, but I sympathize with your wife - if the dressers smell of smoke, any clothing you store in them will, too.

Restoration companies eliminate smoke smells in houses after fires using ozone - perhaps this could be treated.

Ozone will work for sure. You can buy a generator and do it yourself. I use one for my truck and hunting clothes.

Dan

You could easily seal in any odor in the drawers themselves with a coat of shellac, but doing the same for the entire interior of the dresser might be a major challenge. The Ozone treatment or other treatment suggested might be a better way because of all those areas that are just too hard to reach for sealing, honestly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ozone is a strong oxidant. Be really careful using it, especially if someone with a chronic respiratory disease is possibly exposed. Commercial ozone generators are for use in buildings without occupants. Filtering respirators will not reduce exposure concentration.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Another trick I know of to remove odors. A pan with some unused coffee grounds. I've used it to remove odors from a work truck. I recommend folgers

Yes, the coffee grounds trick is very common with folks who, um...restore...flood vehicles...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Open a box of baking soda and put it there for a while but I believe that the chest may have to be cover up so that the baking soda can absorb the odor.I was also told that wading up old newspaper will do the same as baking soda,just takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, the coffee grounds trick is very common with folks who, um...restore...flood vehicles...
    I like that ideal,I did not know that is what some people use that as a trick still good ideal

Until I retired, for about 30 years I did restoration and repair work for several shops in the area. One in particular brought a lot of fire work. Any piece I needed to get the smoke smell out of I'd tent in plastic, put weights around the perimeter of the plastic to seal it down with an small ozone generator in there with the piece of furniture. An old timer showed me that trick and it worked well for me. I tried baking soda, charcoal, shellac and others but none worked as well as ozone IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haus View Post
    Until I retired, for about 30 years I did restoration and repair work for several shops in the area. One in particular brought a lot of fire work. Any piece I needed to get the smoke smell out of I'd tent in plastic, put weights around the perimeter of the plastic to seal it down with an small ozone generator in there with the piece of furniture. An old timer showed me that trick and it worked well for me. I tried baking soda, charcoal, shellac and others but none worked as well as ozone IMO.
    Sounds like the key is tenting it? How long do you let the ozone generator run?

Looks like the machines start at about $75 and go up from there. LINK
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

There was a fire at my Daughter's house - they filled the house with ozone - no body allowed in for a week.

No smell after