Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 18: model 180 cutterhead

Powermatic 18: model 180 cutterhead

I recently bought a 1988 model 180 planer and unbeknownst to me and the seller, had a 27 knife "Quiet" head and a grinder bar. I got it for a song, regardless, I ordered a Byrd shelix from Holbren right away after they quoted me a 1-2week delivery as it was in stock. After a week, I asked for an update on shipping, and they told me it would be 4-6 weeks. A classic bait and switch or ineptitude, I do not know. Others have told me " 4 to 6 weeks" is code for "4 to 6 months".

In the mean time, I acquired a model 160 In just about perfect working condition to get by, but am stalled on the rebuild of the 180 until I can get a cutterhead.

Anyone who has replaced their original 3-knife cutterhead for a shelix on their 180 still have the original straight knife head they can let go? Or perhaps another source. I have a grinding/jointing bar for an 18" model 180 to otherwise trade or dispose of and would appreciate any help in finding a straight knife cutterhead.

I will eventually put in the shelix when it arrives

Thanks, Tim

There’s a post on OWWM BOYD from last year of a guy selling one for $150. Feel free to send me a message and I will send you the link or give you the guys details if you aren’t a member.

Seeing that you have so much old arn, any chance you have a Oliver 399 knife grinder?

I have a cutter head for the 180 with two sets of knifes - what year is your 180? I would be willing to see - it is just laying around my shop floor

John: it is a 1988 model. Thanks

note that I am still trying to figure out how to to use this website...

Matt: by virtue of having a log in, I guess that I am a member. I did check with owwm classifieds, but no luck.

Search for ‘180 cutterhead” in the classifieds on OWWM.

Since you’re not a Contributor here on SMC, I don’t think you can Private Message me. It’s $6/yr to become a Contributor and it helps keep the lights on here. If you PM me, I’d be happy to send you the link or give you the guys phone number. As I’m sure you understand, I don’t want to post it publicly here.

Might take 10 months, byrd is too busy making lunchbox planer heads and ones for 8" import jointers to actually make something for a customer

Tim

mine is from a mid 60’s pm 180 - do not know if it will fit - could post some pictures and you could check owwm to see if it will work

[QUOTE=John P Clark;2990809]Tim

mine is from a mid 60’s pm 180 - do not know if it will fit - could post some pictures and you could check owwm to see if it will work[/QUOTEJJohn: How can I get in touch with you? Can't figure out how to send a private message. Where are you located.

Can you send me a pm - not sure I want my info out on the site - I am in North Denver, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by John P Clark View Post
    Can you send me a pm - not sure I want my info out on the site - I am in North Denver, Colorado
    John: I will as soon as I can figure out how to do it. I must not have the right stuff to send a PM.

Thanks

Tim you need to 'join' Sawmill creek as a contributor. It costs $6/year,then you will be able to send private messages and post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Tim you need to 'join' Sawmill creek as a contributor. It costs $6/year,then you will be able to send private messages and post pictures.
    As I said above.

This deal was posted on another forum.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls...073219414.html

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    This deal was posted on another forum.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls...073219414.html
    Thanks, Matt, Looks like the Post has been deleted