Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet JPS10-TS table saw lacking power?

Jet JPS10-TS table saw lacking power?

I bought this saw a while back and mainly cut 1x lumber, but have periodically cut 2x lumber. It seems to bog a good bit cutting 2x4 lumber and I don't recall having to go this slow. I did tighten the belt yesterday and that seems to have helped. Now it's not making the belt slip and causing the wood to burn, but it still boggs down 50 percent or so. Maybe it's all you can expect out of the 1-3/4hp motor. You can't really push the stock through at a steady pace and it makes it hard to get a smooth cut.

Is it having trouble cutting 2" softwood (pine, cedar, redwood, etc.) or hardwood (oak, maple, walnut, etc.)?

Is the blade a thin-kerf blade, or a full kerf blade (~1/8" kerf) blade?

It should be able to cut 2" pine (a 2x4 is closer to 1 5/8" thick) reasonably well, with a sharp, clean blade. Softwoods often leave resin or pitch on the blade, which increases friction.

A 1-3/4 hp saw will have trouble cutting 2" hardwood, especially with a full kerf blade.

If you are trying to cut 2" hickory or pecan, that's usually harder still.

Andy - Arlington TX

i have a Jet JWPS-10 contractor saw which is a 1 1/2 hp. I have changed the belt to a power twist plus v-belt and use a Forrest thin-kerf WWII 40 tooth blade. I was using a local sharpening service to keep the blade sharp, and it was never as perfect as it was new. I decided to buy a new one and I sent my old one back to Forrest to get it properly sharpened and they can also repair any bad teeth so it should be close to new when it comes back. This will be my back-up blade.

So, with my new blade in place, I needed to rip a 34" long rock maple 8/4 (which was actually 1.75"). The new blade went through the rock maple like butter.

A few things to consider about blade maintenance besides using thin kerf on a lower powered machine:
    1) Keep the blades sharp. And when I mean sharp, at first signs of cutting issues, get the blade sharpened. Working with dull blades is actually a safety issue (binds, kick-back, etc)
    2) Keep the blades clean. Resin and pitch cause horrid your blade to work harder to cut through wood. There are many commercial pitch and resin removal products on the market, but a 1 part Simple Green cleaner to 2 or 3 parts water works great with a good scrub brush. Soaking the blade in the cleaner for 5 minutes prior helps. Rinse and dry the blade well before re-installing in the saw.
    3) Use the right blade for the job. Combo blades like the Forrest 40 tooth WWII are good for rips and cross-cuts. There are blades with less teeth that are even better at ripping but horrid at cross-cutting. Don't use a 60 or 80 tooth blade for ripping, it will heat up and burn the wood.
    4) Use a spliter on your table saw to help prevent the wood from pinching back together after it passes through the blade.

Hope all this info helps, and I am sure others can post better ideas.

Justin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I did tighten the belt yesterday and that seems to have helped. Now it's not making the belt slip and causing the wood to burn, but it still boggs down 50 percent or so. Maybe it's all you can expect out of the 1-3/4hp motor. You can't really push the stock through at a steady pace and it makes it hard to get a smooth cut.
    When the saw bogs down is it the blade or the motor that is slowing? If the motor is still spinning at speed your belt is still slipping or badly worn from previous slipping. You may want to consider getting a new belt. Are you using a ripping blade or a combination or crosscut blade? A dedicated ripping blade will work far better than a combination blade for ripping.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bought this saw a while back and mainly cut 1x lumber, but have periodically cut 2x lumber. It seems to bog a good bit cutting 2x4 lumber and I don't recall having to go this slow. I did tighten the belt yesterday and that seems to have helped. Now it's not making the belt slip and causing the wood to burn, but it still boggs down 50 percent or so. Maybe it's all you can expect out of the 1-3/4hp motor. You can't really push the stock through at a steady pace and it makes it hard to get a smooth cut.

get a new blade
    good luck

Yeah it is a full kerf blade. It's an Amana skip tooth style combination blade where it has 4 teeth then a space in between.

Either that or my friend burned out the motor when I let him borrow it to rip pressure treated wood. He used his own blade though for that. The saw had tons of power when he had it hooked up to 240 but when I got it back is when I had the power issue.

Blog Entries
    Can you post photos of the belt and tension set up?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Either that or my friend burned out the motor when I let him borrow it to rip pressure treated wood. He used his own blade though for that. The saw had tons of power when he had it hooked up to 240 but when I got it back is when I had the power issue.
    Or, you're trying to run it on 120V and it's still wired for 240V? That's a very effective method for quickly burning out a motor.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I was going to say that the saw is not oversupplied with power, so you do need to be thoughtful about blade selection and condition, as others have noted.

How did you guys rewire the power for your friend to use and now that you have it back. Are you sure the wiring is correct?

Matt

I have 240 in my shop now and changed the wiring accordingly.

Yeah it is a full kerf blade. It's an Amana skip tooth style combination blade where it has 4 teeth then a space in between.
    I like Amana blades, but that blade in particular I find lacking. Go for a specialty blade instead of the combo. 24 for ripping,. 40 for crosscutting wood and 60 for plywood. Personally I'm lazy and for the most part use a full kerf 60 tooth for all my tasks. But I'm also running a 3HP saw. I can stall it out anytime I want with nearly any material if I push fast enough. But for the most part 3HP is adequate for most things.

I think I'm going to sell this saw and buy a cabinet grade saw.

I think I'm just going to upgrade to a bigger saw.

What's the difference between the 3hp and the 5hp jet exacta saw? I'm leaning towards the 5hp.