Thread: Building a picture window

Building a picture window

Hi, I need to replace a window in an old building and would like to build a simple fixed pane replacement window. My plan is to use a basic frame and panel design with an insulated glass panel I can order online.

But I want to make sure IÂ’m doing this right. Does anyone know of any plans or tutorials available online or in books? I donÂ’t know if there are specific methods for making the window air and water tight that I should be incorporating.

Many thanks for your help!

Check out the self adhesive foam glazing and other weatherstripping here:

http://www.conservationtechnology.com/

You should be able to order the insulated glass panel from a local glass company cheaper than you can get it shipped to you from online. They are surprisingly cheap from a glass company.

Blog Entries
    You might also consider security glass.

https://www.google.com/search?q=secu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Most glass fabricators won’t ship IGUs without tempering.

I bought special order insulated glass for custom skylights in a standing seam roof. They were 2x4 feet. The inner pane was 1/4" Safety glass, and the outer layer 1/4" bronze tempered. 1/2" space filled with inert gas. I forget exactly the cost, but it was not many dollars one way or the other around $200 each. They also delivered the 10 panels with their glass truck.

Local glass companies typically special order insulated panels because it takes specialized setups to only end up with inert gas inside.

I installed a fixed window in a recent shop addition. Found the framed glass at a local Habitat store. It appeared to have come off a standard sash window, and was vinyl also. I just copied the existing window configuration of jambs and headers, dadoed the top/bottom into the side jambs, made 5/8" square stops for each side of the glass, used a generous amount of weather resistant caulking and installed into the opening. No leaks and super cheap.