Thread: Got a beast of a dust collector blower, debating what to do...

Got a beast of a dust collector blower, debating what to do...

So I have a friend with a cabinet shop who was having problems with one of their old dust collectors tripping breakers, so I ended up with it. Its an older (1999) Grizzly with a 5hp motor. It probably weighs 200 lbs...

I figure its just a start or run cap going bad so not too bad so far, however I cant find any info on the motor, except the nameplate which worries me a little.
    So its 5hp, 220V, 60 hz 3450 RPM but nameplate states 34 amps which seems quite high. I figured that a 5hp should run somewhere around 25 amps, which would be nice, but doesnt seems to be the case.

Trying to figure out circuit sizing and it's a bit disappointing. I guess I'll have to go with 8 awg to cover the 34 amp*1.4 per 430.32. I was hoping that I could use a regular 30 amp twist lock... Oh well, hard wired it will be.

Anyway, that's all fine and dandy, but I have no solid info on replacement start/run capacitors. It looks to have come with a 600MFD (µF, I really dislike the M), and at some point it looks that someone paired up a couple 50 MFD caps in place of the old run cap. So if I get new ones, does it look unreasonable to get a 600 for start and a 100 for run? how big of a difference does it make.

A lot of me just wants to find a similar sized 3hp 3 phase motor and toss a VFD on it, but then I need a frame size and shaft adapter. There is no winning.

I'll probably end up trying to shoehorn a cyclone into my basement with an ~8' ceiling...
    20200120_161528.jpg20200119_113714.jpg

Hey Steven, I cant help with your motor issue.... but I can tell you that blower would work well with an Onieda super dust deputy. I used a Powermatic blower assembly and teamed it with the SDD, it works very well!! You would have no issues with making that work with an 8' ceiling.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

FWIW, I've got a Grizzly DC with a "1 1/2 HP" motor that has an amp draw like a 2 HP motor. I wonder if they're understating the HP a bit. Obviously hard to test without getting the motor to run.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Hey Steven, I cant help with your motor issue.... but I can tell you that blower would work well with an Onieda super dust deputy. I used a Powermatic blower assembly and teamed it with the SDD, it works very well!! You would have no issues with making that work with an 8' ceiling.
    The Super Dust Deputy is too small for that blower & will choke it badly. Oneida recommends it for blowers up to only 3 HP. A 5 HP blower should have a cyclone with a 7" - 8" inlet/outlet.

That motor has an FLA rating of 34 A, which is high for a 5 HP motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The Super Dust Deputy is too small for that blower & will choke it badly. Oneida recommends it for blowers up to only 3 HP. A 5 HP blower should have a cyclone with a 7" - 8" inlet/outlet.

That motor has an FLA rating of 34 A, which is high for a 5 HP motor.
    https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...lone-separator Better call Oneida and tell them they are wrong also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...lone-separator Better call Oneida and tell them they are wrong also.
    Ah, that's the Super Dust Deputy XL, and it is rated for up to 5 HP.

I have the Grizzly G0442 5HP Cyclone. It requires 10AWG for the wiring because running it is considered a 30Amp circuit but startup amperage can go over 30 Amps and trip a 30Amp breaker so the manual says install a 40Amp breaker. You motor probably has similar requirements. If you know the original model number of the cyclone the motor came from, the manuals even for discontinued machines are still available from Grizzly.com

You should be able to use L630 plugs and receptacles. I don't think you will need to go to #8 wiring if it is just the startup draw that exceeds 30 amps.

How big is the impeller?
    Last edited by Tom Dixon; 02-07-2020 at 1:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    I have the Grizzly G0442 5HP Cyclone. It requires 10AWG for the wiring because running it is considered a 30Amp circuit but startup amperage can go over 30 Amps and trip a 30Amp breaker so the manual says install a 40Amp breaker. You motor probably has similar requirements. If you know the original model number of the cyclone the motor came from, the manuals even for discontinued machines are still available from Grizzly.com

You should be able to use L630 plugs and receptacles. I don't think you will need to go to #8 wiring if it is just the startup draw that exceeds 30 amps.
    No, #10 is not big enough for that motor, which is 34A. The circuit ampacity needs to be 125% of the motor FLA: 34 x 1.25 = 42.5A. #8 wire is needed. The circuit breaker can be up to 250% of the motor FLA: 34 x 2.5 = 85A, so up to a 70A breaker. If a receptacle & plug are used, they need to be 50A.

Running undersized wire could be a real fire hazard as a blower can be expected to run at full load for extended periods.

You're right Frank. I was just suggesting this 5HP may be the same as my G0442 which has a full load current rating of 22 Amps. But it's not. A little bit of sleuthing indicates this particular motor and impeller comes off of a G0672 or it's identical predecessor. I found a Google hit for "Youba Induction Motor: 220V 34A 3450 RPM Single Phase" at http://www.lotnut.com/app/item.html?...9-52a2333f17ea and from the DC photos checked for the same style on Grizzly's site and the G0672 has the following specs sheet: https://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0672_ds.pdf

Power Requirement....................................... .................................................. .................. 220V, Single-Phase, 60 Hz
    Prewired Voltage........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ... 220V
    Full-Load Current Rating............................................ .................................................. .......................................... 34A
    Minimum Circuit Size.............................................. .................................................. .............................................. 50A
    Connection Type.............................................. ............................................. Permanent (Hardwire to Shutoff Switch)
    Power Cord Included.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. Yes
    Plug Included.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ............. No
    Switch Type.............................................. .................................................. .... Magnetic Switch w/Overload Protection
    Last edited by Tom Dixon; 02-07-2020 at 4:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    You're right Frank. I was just suggesting this 5HP may be the same as my G0442 which has a full load current rating of 22 Amps. But it's not. A little bit of sleuthing indicates this particular motor and impeller comes off of a G0672 or it's identical predecessor. I found a Google hit for "Youba Induction Motor: 220V 34A 3450 RPM Single Phase" at http://www.lotnut.com/app/item.html?...9-52a2333f17ea and from the DC photos checked for the same style on Grizzly's site and the G0672 has the following specs sheet: https://cdn0.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0672_ds.pdf

Power Requirement....................................... .................................................. .................. 220V, Single-Phase, 60 Hz
    Prewired Voltage........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ... 220V
    Full-Load Current Rating............................................ .................................................. .......................................... 34A
    Minimum Circuit Size.............................................. .................................................. .............................................. 50A
    Connection Type.............................................. ............................................. Permanent (Hardwire to Shutoff Switch)
    Power Cord Included.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. Yes
    Plug Included.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ............. No
    Switch Type.............................................. .................................................. .... Magnetic Switch w/Overload Protection
    Tom, I assumed that you were just going by what your motor draws. I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't make the mistake of wiring it in #10.

That is an extremely inefficient 5 HP motor.

Thanks Tom, I found the lotnut page but didn't get further than that is the configuration was rather different then what I saw on the modern grizzly site. It's odd it doesnt have a model number. I did see pretty much everything else 5hp listed at ~22-25 A.

This information confirms what I was leaning towards, its a bummer as I have a couple other things with the NEMA L6-30, and an excess of 10 awg. The RV style 50A connectors are just too bulky and expensive. I'll end up going with #8...

The impeller is 13 inches in diameter and 5 inches deep. It looks to be all welded 3/16 steel plate. It's quite solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That is an extremely inefficient 5 HP motor.
    I won't be running it much as I have 2 under 3, so the terrible efficiency wont cost me too much, but i'll be keeping my eyes out for something more reasonable and partially because I like the idea of VFD's on everything. That would give me the opportunity to generate some fan operating surfaces.

Thanks Jeff,m I was looking sort of that way. Seems like a lot for a piece of plastic, when you can get something like the grizzly growler for a similar price and it comes with the bin and everything. The SDD XL is appropriately rated for the blower power though. I could probably cobble the rest together.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, Clearvue will also sell just the cyclone body. You'd need to add a filter (if needed) and a collection canister.

Find a local electric motor shop and take the capacitor to them to get a comparable replacement. Did that with the motor on my single stage DC and it has worked well for the past 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Find a local electric motor shop and take the capacitor to them to get a comparable replacement. Did that with the motor on my single stage DC and it has worked well for the past 8 years.
    Yeah, based on what was said above, the motor looks similar to the g0672, so I'll go with similar caps as used there. For some reason the run cap is a pair of 50 µF caps, instead of a single 100. One of the existing caps has some black schmoo on it so I figure it is indeed toast.

So following on the looking for images and things since I found that it appears to be a G5954, so there are 2 50µF start caps, it calls for a 40A breaker.

Thanks for the Help!

-Steve