Thread: I'm an idiot

I'm an idiot

Got the Laguna 18-36 put together, changed the plug to a twist lock plug, plugged it in and nothing when the green button is pushed. 4 letter words followed. Called Laguna tech support for assistance and the tech told me to pull the emergency stop button out. Problem solved.
    Someone slap me upside the head.

Sometimes it's the simplest things that stump us. Happens to all of us sometimes. Took me an hour the other day to find out that my SawStop reset had tripped. I was cutting thick lumber and it over heated. Lesson learned.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

You certainly not the first or last to feel that way. I bet you have never turned in reverse, using a skew. It took me 3 start/stop cycles to figure out why my skew was bouncing all over the place. I kept wondering what was going on. It never did that to me before. Stop the lathe check the bevel. Check the tool rest height. Put MORE pressure on the skew to hold it on the rest. Oh, reverse...... Time to quit for the day.

Made that giddy feeling go away real quick when it didn't turn on, huh? We've all got stories to tell. That's funny. Wonder what the Laguna tech was thinking afterwards? Bet he and his workmates got a big laugh. Thanks for sharing.
    BTW, congrats on your 18-36. Your gonna love it. I've had mine for close to 2 years and it hasn't disappointed me yet. Well one time when it would not come on until I pulled the RED BUTTON! Just kidding.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Nearly 50 years ago, a small fire company near here purchased a new fire truck. It was brought in on a semi and delivered. It quit running as it was being backed off the trailer. Would not start again. after a few hours monkeying around, the maker arranged to have it hauled to their regional warranty place. There it was worked on for a few days. The following Monday the head mechanic came back from vacation. He heard the tail of woe. Did any body check to see if there was fuel in the tanks?.............. The manufacturer only put in enough to check the pumps and start the engine during assembly.

Hah, I made the same mistake when I got my table saw. It was my first tool with a "real" switch, and I didn't know that the stop button needed to be twisted out.

Since then my lathe has tricked me several times because I've accidentally leaned against the emergency stop switch while working on stuff with it stopped. I've got as far as trouble shooting the inverter until realizing my error.

Welcome to the club.... My Beauty wouldn't start back up. I tried every thing I could think of to get it to run again and nothing worked. I called Brent up for advice. "Reed, I know you have done a lot of turning, but did you check to make sure the spindle lock is pushed all the way down?" I will say in my defense that that was the first experience I had had with a spindle lock that was wired in so that you couldn't start the lathe with the spindle lock engaged....

robo hippy

a few years ago I took our photographer to a client’s with me - he was tasked with shooting the new engineers in their innovation center. These are the best of the brightest. I left him the keys to the Highlander hybrid we used for company trips and he loaded up four engineers to drive back to the innovation center while I met with the marketing dept. After about 20 minutes the photographer interrupted our meeting to tell me there was something wrong with the car - nothing happens when the key is turned.
    Four high-level, young engineers were all stumped until I pointed to the hybrid badge on the side and told them to just turn the key and put it in gear. You could have heard a pin drop...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    ... and the tech told me to pull the emergency stop button out. Problem solved.
    Someone slap me upside the head.
    I am still temporarily confused at times when I accidentally bump into and turn off my lathe's remote switch. Save a head slap for me for the next time.

JKJ

I've had that happen to me enough times so that's the first thing I check. I had started a new job working on extruders. Did the quarterly PM, couldn't get the motor to start. Aha ( I thought) must be the E Stop. Checked it and it was OK. Started troubleshooting on the motor drive. Looked like the E Stop was open. Checked the switch with an ohm meter, it was ok.
    Finally figured out that the extruder has two E Stops wired in series. I figured I must have bumped the second one without knowing it.