Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Handtool questions.

Blog Entries
    A veritas micro-adjust marking gauge is very nice and reasonably priced.
    An old post compares the Veritas micro-adjust marking gauge to the Tite-Mark Gauge >https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?133966

In short, the Tite-Mark is easier to use, especially one handed, and is less likely to roll off the bench.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    An old post compares the Veritas micro-adjust marking gauge to the Tite-Mark Gauge >https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?133966

In short, the Tite-Mark is easier to use, especially one handed, and is less likely to roll off the bench.

jtk
    Yeah ok cool. I've never owned one. I guess it's just a price trade- off then. In Australia a Veritas is about $100- vs $165- for the drake.

Cheers, Dom

3. Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Caldwell View Post
    I am sure this is going to get a lot of different answers. I was awarded a ticket for a weekend hand tool class from my boss. I am a complete novice at handtools, but have really wanted to get into incorporating them into my wood shop. My hand tool collection is limited, but I have been wanting to add to it and figured this was a good reason to justify. The wife seems cool with it too. The class listed some items that I am kind of curious about because my knowledge is not to extensive in the hand tool world.

A. Crosscut saw that would cut 11 1/4". It also mentioned a tenon saw. Do I need/want both? Also, I am looking at getting a couple of other useful saws to and would take suggestions.
    B. Smooth Plane (recommendations)
    C. Block Plane (recommendations)
    D. Also, side note I was wondering about suggestions on sharpening stones.
    E. Wheel marking gauge recommendations.

The class is in a month, so I need start ordering some of this stuff this weekend.

This may be a lot to answer, but would appreciate any feedback that is given. I am a firm believer in spending a little more for a quality product. We are building a bookcase all out of poplar and handtools.

Thanks!
    A: The Veritas tenon saw is a great saw that is also fairly inexpensive as far as new, quality hand saws go. The only problem I've had with mine is the spine is quite thick and it sometimes obstructs your view of the line you are trying to cut to.

B. No specific recommendation. Antique Stanley/Bailey/Record/Millers Falls #4 or #5 planes are great if you can refurbish them. This would also be the most inexpensive route.

C. I don't use block planes often, but again, antique Stanley or similar would be good.

D. I used water stones before moving to diamond plates. I have found diamond plates to be the easiest method of hand sharpening that require the least amount of upkeep. Sharpening is very much a personal endeavor, and no two woodworkers seem to have the same method, so maybe just try what you think you would like until you find it.

E. I use the Veritas Wheel Marking Gauge. I did not like this gauge at first, but I realized it's because I was pushing too hard on it. You really only need very light pressure at first, and then you can go heavier if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    I don’t know which Veritas micro-adjust Dom was referring to, but they have a newer model now which is much nicer. For some reason, they also still sell the one you reviewed. I have the new model, but I still prefer the TM.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...-marking-gauge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    I don’t know which Veritas micro-adjust Dom was referring to, but they have a newer model now which is much nicer. For some reason, they also still sell the one you reviewed. I have the new model, but I still prefer the TM.

Thanks for the update. My search on the Lee Valley site for > Veritas micro--adjust marking gauge < brought up the old one. This new model looks easier to use but still looks like a challenge for one handed use. Recently my thoughts have been leaning towards buying another Tite-Mark for times when two gauges are needed. Though having a couple of other wooden gauges tends to throw a bit of cold water on those thoughts

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

6. I have the older style micro-adjust Veritas Wheel Marking Gauge, and sometimes when I adjust it, I swear it's not moving at all and it can be frustrating. I still like using the gauge overall though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post

Yes I was referring to the new one. I have the older style as well and the new one is much better. I wasn't a fan of the adjuster on the older one.

Cheers, Dom