Thread: Need advice on designing and making a bed with round tapered legs

Need advice on designing and making a bed with round tapered legs

My daughter wants a bed frame with round tapered legs. The side rails are going to be removable with standard rail hardware (photo included). My issue is how to flatten or partially dado the legs to accept the hardware and long rail end and also the headboard/footboard fixed 3/4 board. The rails and 1 1/2w X 6 3/16h (don't ask why they are 6 3/16). The headboard/footboard boards are 3/4w x 6 3/16h.
    Mid-Century Bed - Acorn.jpg60270289851__15293642-4D96-436B-8F3F-E815B7E92D8E.jpg
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I assume you are going to turn the legs on a lathe. Can you make the dados for the hardware and the mortices for the headboards and footboards before you turn the legs?

I have used those knock-down connectors on a queen size bed made of Hickory. They work great. They really need to be flush-mounted with a high degree of precision otherwise they could be too loose or too tight. Plus, with a square end to the rails and a round leg you would have a gap. Rather than make the end of the rail with a radius to match the legs, maybe it would easier to make part of the leg flat-ish where the knock-down connector is.

I think both of those ideas might solve my dilemma. If I cut the stock to a known square dimension then I can cut the dado for the fixed board and cut the flat maybe on the bandsaw. Then turn it. That should work. Thanks.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Make the flat areas and any hardware accommodations (such as recesses) first, turn the rest, fair in manually if required.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Far as I can tell you can turn the lower part of the leg, but the upper part where the rails connect will need to be shaped by spokeshave.
    Is this correct? I'm interested to know as this design is one I also want to tackle.

I think I got it figured out thanks to everyone's help. Thanks.

Photos - 1 of 3.jpgPhotos - 3 of 3.jpg
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Looks great, generally I think it is always best to make the joints first so you are working with square stock then shape the piece.

Make a V-shaped jig to hold the leg and use the dado head on the table saw to make the flat surfaces. Use hold down clamps to keep the leg from rotating.
    You could also turn the leg round, make the flats, and then turn the legs on the lathe to get the taper.
    My suggestions are cheap and my take of making this style.

Thanks Doug and Mike.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

So how did you do this?