Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you get a flu shot?

Th effect of flu in the US: "CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."We're all freaking out about a couple cases of Corona virus (or Zika, or EEV) while 10,000+ people die every year and 100,000's are hospitalized at a cost of billions to the health care system and economy from a disease that is mostly preventable in the US. It makes me completely crazy.

I've been a regular on flu shots for years. They work. I also had a pneumonia shot a few years back. Both seem to be effective.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Five children got flu shots. Five children got the flu. Not suggesting the shot gave them the flu, just that it is not effective.

In 2016, had pneumonia TWICE, despite having both types of pneumonia shots. Last bout was with antibiotic resistant pneumonia. Spent 11 days in hospital. Had to have lung cavity on right side scraped. After that, I now get flu shots regularly.

Every. Year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was raised an "army brat" and traveled all over the earth. Whenever dad transferred the whole family had to get vaccinated.
    I was in the service in the early '70's and also had to get vaccinated to go over see's.
    They must still be working!
    NO!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    I get one every year.

yes this was the first year now I just got over the flu and it is turning into pneumonia. went to the dr yesterday and he didn't think it was pneumonia but just to rule it out he did a blood test and sent my for an xray both confirmed I have pneumonia oh and I aslo had my pneumonia shots

There are several different things that are out there that look like the flu, but aren't. We both been sick this month with symptoms anyone would call the flu, but tested negative for flu at the clinic. We get the shots every year.

I got mine in September. As a volunteer at the Manchester NH VA Medical Center it is required though I would get it anyway. They make it convenient for us by having the public health nurse at our awards dinner on a Sunday give the shots. The VA also has a "drive by" vaccination where you literally stick our arm out of the car and get the shot. Note for veterans in the VA system. You can get the shot free at Walgreens by just showing your VA health ID.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

every year. even if its not the perfect strain, it is still shown to reduce your symptoms of other strains of the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I kept a similar regiment prior to this.
    That nearly killed me.
    I am 6'. When I was admitted to a hospital I weighed 128 pounds.

I was having a bit of fun with my post. I do smoke, and I do drink coffee, but a busy month might be 3 whiskeys. If It matters, I’m 6’ 1” and 158 pounds. Been that for 20 years.

It is true that I’ve never had a flu shot, but I’m in my 30s with no immune issues. I exercise and eat healthy, and I mostly work from home. I do not have kids, nor do I have occasion to be around elderly folks. My exposure risk is low and I’m not much of a risk to transmit it to others. If the circumstances were different I’d likely get one.

(And before any assumptions are made, I am vaccinated for all the regular stuff and hold no weird ideology there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Five children got flu shots. Five children got the flu. Not suggesting the shot gave them the flu, just that it is not effective.
    Curious if your doc confirmed that it was flu by PCR or an antigen test? Or tested for immune antibodies to the current vaccine? A lot of folks blame every sniffle (including GI illness that has absolutely nothing to do with flu-- there is no such thing as "stomach flu") on flu, when much of it is not. Five real failures in a cluster might well get the attention of the CDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    yes this was the first year now I just got over the flu and it is turning into pneumonia. went to the dr yesterday and he didn't think it was pneumonia but just to rule it out he did a blood test and sent my for an xray both confirmed I have pneumonia oh and I aslo had my pneumonia shots
    Remember that "pneumonia" isn't a disease per se, it's a symptom, fluid in the lungs. It can be caused by a fairly wide range of viruses and bacteria. The current vaccine will protect against a fairly wide range of Strep pneumo strains but not all of them, and of course it does nothing to prevent viral pneumonias.

I wonder if there's a difference in protection with the 3 different types of FLU vaccines available this season?

• IIV- Inactivated Influenza Vaccine administered as a shot
    • RIV - Recombinant Influenza Vaccine administered as a shot
    • LAIV - Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine or LAIV administered as a nasal spray.

Assuming each variant is made by different pharmaceutical companies.