Thread: Ducting for Shop Vacs?

Ducting for Shop Vacs?

So now that I've gotten my main Dust Collector hooked up to the various tools, I'm coming to the conclusion that some of the ports work better with a shop vac, instead of a dust collector.

In particular my Bosch Axial Glide, and various sanders seem best served by a shop vac. In the case of the SCMS I plan to hook up the shop vac to the built in port, while also running a duct in the base of the cabinet back to the DC. I might do the same with my Rigid belt/spindle sander combo, attaching the shopvac to the back, while keeping the 6" port right next to it.

As such I'm thinking about running some 2 1/2" PVC piping to a shop vac, likely stored in the rafters of the shop, and attached to separator. This will enable me to get the shop vac out of the way, and avoid dragging it from machine to machine. I'm also going to use a HEPA filter and HEPA filter bags on the shop vac to prevent it becoming a dust pump.

However, I'm concerned that the ducting will seriously decrease the performance of the system, or there may be other gotchas. Obviously short runs are critical. However, I would think that this might be less of an issue with a shop vac's much higher static pressure than a DC.

Any thoughts on this approach?
    Last edited by Andrew More; 02-06-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    A shop vac will do quite well with long duct runs. They generate much higher static pressure that a typical DC blower will. For cleaning the cars I hook up a small (1 3/8") hose that's about 30' long to the shop vac & there's still a ton of suction & volume.

Blog Entries
    Central vacuum systems do this all the time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Central vacuum systems do this all the time.
    Exactly. I was considering running piping like the OP described when I realized I already have a central vac system with an outlet in the shop. I made an adapter for a small diameter hose I use for my sanders and even the track saw, and now use the central vac instead of my shop vac. (I have a cyclone for the big tools). I also added a wireless remote so I can trigger the central vac with a fob.
    The central vac power unit is in my shop so there is still noise, but it's a lot more pleasant than the shop vac screaming.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I do this with a Festool CT22 and a clearvue mini cyclone. 2 1/2 in pvc and ports for the table saw blade guard, router fence, drill press, mitersaw, and one thats near my bench where I do a lot of sanding. Works great.

Curious. I have been planning to do this and only see 2" PVC at HD or Lowes.
    The only 2 1/2" I have found is 3' lengths, on Amazon, and that would take a lot of connectors.

Where do you find 2 1/2" pipe?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Curious. I have been planning to do this and only see 2" PVC at HD or Lowes.
    The only 2 1/2" I have found is 3' lengths, on Amazon, and that would take a lot of connectors.

Where do you find 2 1/2" pipe?
    Look for electrical conduit. My local Menards stocks 2.5" Schedule 40 conduit and fittings. 90 and 45 elbows for electrical are very long sweep, great for airflow.

Note: Shopvac hose sizes are like their HP ratings. A 2.5" hose is actually a bit less than 2.5"OD and ID is 2" or so. 2" Schedule 40 ID is slightly more than 2". I used a shopvac years ago for topside tablesaw collection and routed it across the ceiling with 2" Sch40.
    Last edited by David L Morse; 02-09-2020 at 7:10 AM.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I went this route over a year ago. Rigid shop vac with all filters hooked to Clear Vue CV06 mini hooked to 2" sch 40 pvc dwv pipe. Use a heat gun to shape the ends bigger for standard shop vac hose connections. Have 4 outlets under bench top, one above bench top, one for table saw blade guard, one by drill press that needs finished and one more headed in a different direction for future use. Use expanding test plugs from Menards, to plug all openings except one that is being used. Used plumbing long sweeps, have emptied the 5 gallon bucket numerous times times, yet to have any visible dirt in the Rigid shop vac.
    Good luck
    Ron