Thread: Framing Slick hanger, QSWO

Framing Slick hanger, QSWO

I needed a place to put the slick where it would not be in the way and the edge would be protected. Similar storage problem as a framing chisel, only bigger.

From the perspective of household pets it looks good enough.

20200223_141805[1].jpg20200223_141846[1].jpg

BRB, there are some learning opportunities even though I put the thing into service.

If you are looking for it, you might notice I knifed a curved line onto the front surface of the blade guard, and started in with a rasp on one corner.

The thing is when I am standing up and tip my head to look at it, the top profile has a bit of curve to it, but the bottom looks like a square...

20200223_141223[1].jpg

Anyway, I started on the one corner and just stopped. Sheesh. I knew going in dealing with QSWO was going to make my noob pine/poplar idea of sharp obsolete. I did not realize that among hickory, walnut, hard maple and teak, QSWO is the red headed stripper on a mission to break my heart.

So the design contours look fine in 2D, I am taking this as a learning experience to look at stuff harder in 3D before it is too late.

The leather sheath hanger I think came out well. I put a little standoff between the vertical face of the blade guard and the inside surface of the hanger, but it is pretty darn hard to get the leather sheath to not sit square on the top edge of the blade guard.

20200223_141234[1].jpg

Besides cracked, the handle that came with mine also feels a little too short. Now that I have a safe place to store the edge I can sharpen it and be sure, but I think I am going to add about two inches to the next handle. With that in mind I put the hanger pegs as far up the metal as I could to maximize the weight below the hanger pegs. I used a scrap of 2x4 and put a pair of pegs in, I dunno, my first guess at distance apart on center. 1 3/4 inches or so. That wasn't right, so I moved down the 2x4 scrap and drilled a new set of holes maybe two inches on center. Once I had it right I just struck a center line on the oak and measured off that baseline for where to start my auger bit.

There are 16 million ways to finish QSWO, I like all of them. What I wanted to do was 1) use no products that have an MSDS, 2) keep it overall light and 3) darken the field just enough for the rays to pop.

For this I used hemp oil from an Etsy store my wife found. It does smell a little bit like a Grateful Dead concert when wet, but I find it odorless when dry, have experienced no untoward euphoria and no hunger cravings. I did three coats of that with bare fingertips, time zero, +30 minutes and +90 minutes. I keep the hemp oil in the great room with my woodstove and took the project to the great room for finishing. About 48 hours for the oil to thoroughly absorb with soft dry cloth buffs about every twelve hours.

After the hemp oil was thoroughly absorbed and buffed I put on one thin layer of soft wax, I think the Clapham's available from Lee Valley. I think there is a similar product from H2O at Home or similar, the French version of Amway. I couldn't tell the two soft waxes apart when I was fooling with them about a year ago on figured beech, and there are probably several other soft waxes out there. Whichever wax it was I used I buffed that about every eight hours for 24 hours and then hung the fool thing on the wall.

Oil and wax is not suitable for a lot of applications, and not permanent, but it is googlable and I don't need to beat a dead horse.

I did try three dyes, and then used my pathetically dull planes and card scrapers to try to take off a thin shaving to reveal darkened pores and bright white rays. I added T-R-O-U-B-L-E by Travis Tritt to my shop playlist because of QSWO; and used no dyes on the visible surfaces of the finished item.

20200223_150555[1].jpg
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 02-23-2020 at 7:16 PM.