Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Justifying tool purchases for Hobby Work

I buy the best you can buy then consider it an investment that you keep for a lifetime, maybe even pass down to your kids. Keep in mind though the tool has to be an older well built tool like a classic 1980- 1995 delta unisaw. You can buy one of those in good shape for $800 Or go to home depot and buy a jobsite portable dewalt table saw for $599. Why???

2. Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I buy the best you can buy then consider it an investment that you keep for a lifetime, maybe even pass down to your kids. Keep in mind though the tool has to be an older well built tool like a classic 1980- 1995 delta unisaw. You can buy one of those in good shape for $800 Or go to home depot and buy a jobsite portable dewalt table saw for $599. Why???
    I'm sure there are also well built tools sold new today. Although I agree there is far too much cheap, wastefull junk. Even more true with hand tools - buy high quality hand tools and look after them and they'll almost certainly be able to be passed on.

Cheers, Dom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    Its tough to pick up the unisaw and throw it in the back of your truck, or carry up a flight of stairs yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Its tough to pick up the unisaw and throw it in the back of your truck, or carry up a flight of stairs yourself.
    Takes up more space as well.

7 pages so far and I don't think we have even scratched the surface on this one.

As a hobbyist with a family, demanding job and 30 acres to take care of, I understand the OP's struggles.

Not to be too "woo--woo", but for me, the enjoyment of woodworking is more about the process than getting to the end product. So when I look at a big tool purchase, I am always asking myself why I want it and evaluate the purchase in terms why I enjoy woodworking. So, I see a good table saw or track saw as critical to my enjoyment of the process since accurate and repeatable cuts is makes the process much more enjoyable for me. I have held off on a Domino, because forcing myself to layout the mortise and tenons and then cutting them with a router and table saw makes me focus on the process and the craft. Also, for me, if I had a Domino, I think I would have a tendency to rush projects.

That being said, if I was better at making M&Ts or did this as a business, I would be all in on a Domino.

“How do you rationalize a tool purchase?”
    --Patrick Irish

Both The Squeeze and I are retired, cars and house paid for, and we have no debt. She has her monthly income, I have mine. If I want or need a tool and can use it for a project or projects, I just buy it.

Ok - here is some very serious justification. I am not saying to go out and spend every penny you have but you are also alive for so long, and you really never know when life can take a turn. My thought process changed when I got the call from my doctor telling me my biopsy was positive for prostate cancer, and I was 45 at the time. I am very lucky it was caught early, didn't spread and as of right now cancer free, however there is about a 20% chance for re-occurrence that would once again make me putting on the boxing gloves. So while I tend to get concerned spending $$$ on hobbies, I decided I am going to make sure I enjoy the time I have here because you never know when something out of your control is going to take your health away. While I still don't have my SawStop, I did upgrade my jointer, get a bandsaw, built the workbench I always wanted and put the lift on my Jeep since I was diagnosed. Cutting back where needed to save the money to buy what I WANT!