Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw classes - green wood to useful turning blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Didn't see date or price or if this is something an outsider might attend.

I would love to attend something like this and Nashville isn't too far away.
    Chris,

I'm a little bit north of Knoxville.

That other woodturner John Jordan is near Nashville. I cut blanks to dry and turn, he cuts to turn wet.

Jordans_Two_IMG_20170920_121712_011.jpg

Looks like the drive from Lebanon would be about 2.5 hrs unless you drive a Porshe with no brakes.

Attendance is limited since I only have room for about 5 people in my shop without someone standing for 4 hours where they can't see well.

So far I've just advertised to the Knoxvillle turning club members and then I pick a date such that those who signed up first can attend. At the moment there are five more on the waiting list for class #7. I do these classes because I love teaching and people and so many aren't quite sure how to set up and use their bandsaws safely for this.

My fee for quality time in my own shop is a good story or a good joke.

BTW, my other favorite things to teach are beginning or remedial skew lessons! (and thin spindles)

If you want to drive over sometimes send me a PM or email with dates you are possibly available and if I can fit another class in then I'll put you on the list. I plan another class either in late March, earlier April, or sometime in June or later. Or just come visit and drop in! I've had lots of visitors from SMC, WoodCentral, and various places from across the US and the Pond. Do you know this very pleasant hairy guy?

Mark_StLeger_IMG_7224.jpg

If you can possibly visit in on the 3rd Tuesday in March (the 17th) you could come to our annual wood auction that evening then to my shop the next day. We could spend a morning with the bandsaw basics and/or any other turning things (skews, sharpening, thin spindles, smoothing without power sanding, turning metals, chain saws, chip carving?)

Or if your club has a good bandsaw and more space and is interested in a larger class I might consider that. I allow at least 4 hours, more if branching out a little. My schedule for 2020 is filling up quickly but not yet saturated.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-11-2020 at 1:23 PM.

I'm new to this whole wood turning thing, so I'm trying to get as much knowledge as possible.

I've seen the other John Jordan in passing at the TAW meetings in Nashville, but never spoken to him.

The guy in the lower phone looks like Mark St.Leger, who was at the TAW Symposium a couple of weeks ago.

I'm retired, so my schedule is pretty open, so I would love to hear when you plan to do some of your classes and possibly get on the list for one.

Thanks.

The picture of the two John Jordan's was taken at my house. When I first started woodturning people confused us sometimes - we both live in TN, are the same age, and play with wood. People have even sent me things thinking he wanted them and a guy recently sent him some carvings made for me! I see John at symposiums and such. This is a picture at the TAW when a surprise snow grounded many people for a day. Doug Thompson (Thompson Tools), the other John Jordan, the amazing John Lucas, and me.

Jordans_TAW_2010_cs.jpg Jordans_IMG_0686_crop.jpg
    I asked JJ if I could have his sign if he gives up woodturning some day. :

Marrk StLeger came to visit the farm once and brought his wife, grown kids and their families. We hung out with the llamas and he got the nickle tour of the shop. What a thoughtful, pleasant, and creative guy! Next time I get up his way I'm gonna stop and visit his place.

Mark_StLeger_IMG_20171124_112753_982.jpg

If you send me your email address and phone number by PM I'll put you on the contact list and let you know when I do another session.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I'm new to this whole wood turning thing, so I'm trying to get as much knowledge as possible.

I've seen the other John Jordan in passing at the TAW meetings in Nashville, but never spoken to him.

The guy in the lower phone looks like Mark St.Leger, who was at the TAW Symposium a couple of weeks ago.

I'm retired, so my schedule is pretty open, so I would love to hear when you plan to do some of your classes and possibly get on the list for one.

Thanks.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-11-2020 at 7:38 PM.