Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HF Motor for Table Saw?

HF Motor for Table Saw?

HF has a 3 HP motor at correct RPM for my Table Saw ($160). The saw now has a original Powermatic 1HP motor (220 1ph). Any issues to consider if replacing it with a HF 3 HP motor?

If the frame sizes are the same then you should have no problem bolting it up. And having at work.

I’d also verify that the rotation direction is the same as your current one and if not, can it be reversed. Some of the cheaper induction motors out there cannot be re-wired to change this.

Check the wiring and starter to make sure they can handle the increased amperage. Even if just a switch with no overloads, it may need to be beefed up. Dave

thanks. Good tips. The motor is reversible. The Powermatic paddle switch is rated for 3HP at 230V so probably ok there. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Does the HF motor actually have a nameplate that says it's 3 HP? The reason I mention this is that in another thread it was stated that the HF dust collector is listed in the catalogue as 2 HP, but the motor has no label & is in fact only 1.5 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Does the HF motor actually have a nameplate that says it's 3 HP? The reason I mention this is that in another thread it was stated that the HF dust collector is listed in the catalogue as 2 HP, but the motor has no label & is in fact only 1.5 HP.
    They state it does. See here:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3-hp-c...tor-68302.html

I'm assuming the ODP motor is easy to access so you can blow it off? I'd also look at CL for a local same frame TEFC motor. They often show up cheap. Dave

You'll find those air compressor motors are pretty light duty compared to a standard ODP or TEFC hence the lower price. $174 is probably on the high side too, Surplus Center has a (CCW) 3hp WEG air compressor motor for $159.
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...or-10-2620.axd

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    You'll find those air compressor motors are pretty light duty compared to a standard ODP or TEFC hence the lower price. $174 is probably on the high side too, Surplus Center has a (CCW) 3hp WEG air compressor motor for $159.
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...or-10-2620.axd

OK. what a good 3hp table saw motor to get?

Quote Originally Posted by orren countin View Post

Why do you want to change out the motor? Is it bogging down on rip cuts, or problems running a dado head? Or is it the "bigger is better" syndrome?" If it's the latter, read the thread on "Do we ever say no" in off topic forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Why do you want to change out the motor? Is it bogging down on rip cuts, or problems running a dado head? Or is it the "bigger is better" syndrome?" If it's the latter, read the thread on "Do we ever say no" in off topic forum.
    Its the latter. Engineer in me does a cost benefit analysis of replacing bearing on a 1hp Powermatic vs a new 3 HP motor and a little risk reduction in case the motor doesnt work after Im done. Id have to say this powermatic 1hp motor has never had a power issue even at 1hp

I'm wondering if the One Horse in there might be a Draft Horse, and the 3 Horses you're looking at might be a different breed (miniature horses??). Some might take 1 good Belgian pulling a plow better and longer than three saddle horses being able to do the same work. (in other words...are the measurements of work the same on the labels of both motors??)
    earl

If you are not bogging down, save your money. Someday you may want a better saw or another tool. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by orren countin View Post
    If you've got one of the older "Artisan" contractor-type saws from Powermatic, I wouldn't exceed 1.5-1.75 hp. Mounting a larger sized motor could become more problematic than it's worth. WEG makes some very decent ODP 56 frame motors: https://www.factorymation.com/00156OT1BRBO56-S

I'd echo David and Bruce's comments otherwise. Replace the bad bearing, save your money and trade the saw for something else if it isn't working for you.