Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC router spindle recommendations

CNC router spindle recommendations

Looking to replace my router motor with a spindle. Looking at the 2200w units on ebayAmazon that come with he matched power supply? Any suggestions?

Ken
    ken

I went with an Asian 4kW air cooled spindle-- so I can't recommend any particular 2.2kW units, but some thought on the issue:

1) My 4kW air cooled is still quieter than the Dewalt trim router I had before
    2) Water cooled are supposed to be incredibly quiet compared to air cooled, but I didn't want to hassle with the plumbing
    3) I bought a square one (flat sides) instead of a round one. To me, it was easier (and less bulky) to mount a square unit on my setup than a round one + a mounting bracket
    4) Mine uses ER20 collets (if I recall). It's great because they come in a number of sizes for different endmills. If you have the budget, space, rigidity, and z-axis oomph to lift a larger spindle, having a larger collet to hold larger endmills is great
    5) I bought my VFD separately. I did have to change a number of the settings-- check them before you power up your spindle so you don't mess anything up.
    6) I should also add, the flexibility in speed (with the VFD) is awesome. Much larger speed range than the old trim router setup I had. It's great for dialing in plastics, etc. that didn't like the high router speeds.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Are you getting water or air cooled? I would just make sure that the VFD is appropriately rated for the spindle. Some of the sellers skimp and you get a VFD actually rated for less than the spindle calls for. I have had 2 water cooled Chinese spindles and both have been good so far. The prices are low enough that there is no reason for people to run routers any more. Try to make sure that the spindle and VFD come with good documentation in English. You'll have to set parameters and if you set them wrong you could ruin the spindle pretty quick. Some spindles can get big and heavy make sure that your gantry handles the weight. You will love using a spindle. Much quieter than a router.

There isn't that much of an option in the cheap lower end spindles but try to find one that has more torque in the lower RPMs that you would use. Mine is 18,000 RPM max and my old one was 24,000. The new one produces more torque in the lower RPMs than the old one did. I'm usually only running around 12,000 RPM for most of my work.

If you don't have a clamp, buy one that comes with a clamp sized for the spindle that will fit your machine.
    Last edited by bobby milam; 02-05-2020 at 4:11 PM.

I went with a 3kW (4HP) water cooled unit and Hitachi VFD. And yes, it is very quiet. Plumbing was easy. But it is another step that you don't have to deal with on air cooled.

One caveat I have read in more than one place is that air cooled spindles may run fine at 6k rpm but they don't begin cooling adequately until they hit 12k rpm or so. Now this could be lower priced units or something else factored in because I have also read of people running their air cooled units for long cuts at low rpm and no cooling issues. If you don't plan on running below 12k rpm then this won't be an issue, assuming what I have read is factual.

I know the water cooled unit we have stays cool regardless of the speed or load. I can cut for 3 minutes or 30 minutes and touch the collet right after shutting the spindle down; it's little more than room temp.

Whichever unit you get make sure there's actually a ground wire attached to the 4th terminal. Many Chinese units aren't grounded.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Good feedback thanks - looks like I need to do some more research. I have a healthy machine so weight is not a problem. I would like to cut 3/4 ply from time to time so I was thinking that would be best with at least a 2.2kw. What would be required to spin a 1/2 bit through 3/4 ply? Is that where 4kw motor would work better?

4kW is 5.36HP, pretty powerful. Yes, like Tim Taylor used to say, 'More power!' I cut full depth in one pass on 1/2" Baltic Birch with our 3kW spindle with 1/4" compression bit - 18k rpm, 175 ipm. This is still conservative from what I've read. But I don't think I have ever cut 3/4" and I've only used a 1/2" bit a couple of times.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

2.2Kw should be able to handle it. I have a 3Kw on my machine. I'd always go for more power if the price was close.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    Looking to replace my router motor with a spindle. Looking at the 2200w units on ebayAmazon that come with he matched power supply? Any suggestions?

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    I went with this one for my latest cnc router build. I think it is great! Bobby Milam bought one first, and I followed in his footsteps.
    David

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Combo-ATC-T...item2ad51a1eab
    ATC Spindle Package.jpg

You will never need or be able to run a 1/2 tool full depth single pass. We have 10hp spindle and running at 600ipm we can barely crowd a 3/8" tool. We single pass 3/4 !at 600ipm 16000 rpm with a 3/8 compression every day.

David, that's quite the price for 3kw AND ATC! Wow...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, it makes a great fast tool change spindle even if you don't set it up with a rack for automatic tool changes.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    Yeah, it makes a great fast tool change spindle even if you don't set it up with a rack for automatic tool changes.
    I assume you mean slapping them in manually. Even that would be nicely convenient, especially if they call can be pre-measured so hitting "go" heads right back to cutting. My FTC (fast tool change - auto measuring) certainly speeds tool changes up, but a rack or no rack ability to quickly swap out tools without measuring would be kewel for some folks.
    --

Yes. Set them up in your tool offset library then it's a 5 second tool change and you only have to set your first tool height but you still have to be around the machine ready and waiting. The FTC is nice but once you have an ATC you will never want to go back.

Nice - Not sure I can put that much into one right now. Does Mach3 allow you to set up the full ATC?
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Higginbotham View Post
    Nice - Not sure I can put that much into one right now. Does Mach3 allow you to set up the full ATC?
    If not, check if Mach4 can...Mach3 is pretty old.
    --