Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Canada - how does it compare to other brands?

King Canada - how does it compare to other brands?

Was in WoodWerks recently and noticed a new (to me) brand of tools - King Canada. Woodwerks says it's Canada's leading producer of wood working tools. I don't recall reading any posts here on the Creek about this brand. So, what are your opinions of King Canada wrt quality, cost, service, etc? I'm not interested in any particular tool, but just curious about the brand.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    I haven't owned any of their machinery, but I've looked. It just seems to be generic Chinese stuff with a King Canada label on it. Fit & finish is about what you'd expect; rough but functional.

Hi Brian, I’m sure you’ve heard of General who were a Canadian company that made machinery in Canada. General also owned General International which was their Taiwanese made brand.

The GI stuff was better than average offshore equipment and now King are selling GI models and apparently spare parts for GI machines.

General and GI went out of business a few years ago......Regards, Rod

I have heard of General, mostly good things, but I had not heard that they had gone out of business. That's a shame.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I have heard of General, mostly good things, but I had not heard that they had gone out of business. That's a shame.
    Several years ago they shut down the Canadian manufacturing facilities, went to Asian suppliers & changed the name to General International. I have a GI jointer and it is excellent; well built and never a problem with it. I also have a GI 17" drill press & it's good, but the feature set is pretty limited. I'd say they were a cut above the usual Asian generic machinery, at least at first.

I had a discussion with a guy I know who was a GI rep & the story he told of the company failure was worthy of a novel or movie. Lots of duplicity & greed were involved.

My dad has a King contractor saw with a 2hp motor. I dialed it in for him and put a fence on it,it works real well. Not quite as heavy built as the delta contractor saws I have worked on ,but still pretty good. I would lump them in with most Busy Bee,old House of Tools and generic Taiwan made stuff.

I do not think the brand means anything I think it is like jet. They just have some company slap a label on what they were already making. Next year it may be a different company making it. Parts may interchange from year to year or not. The company on the label will not know. The smaller tools are packed in a blank tan cardboard box. Then this blank box is shipped into a three color printed box with some makers name on it.
    I think this outerbox is printed and installed at a different factory.
    Bill D.

I have a King band saw with the 6" riser; I'm not sure how it compares to other manufacturers' offerings, other than to say it's obviously a Delta 14" copy.
    I use mine a lot, everything from cutting logs into planks (not as good as a woodmiser - but I don't have one) to cutting tenons for M&T joints. It's OK.
    I'd enjoy a larger table, and the fence is not the best, but with jigs, it works out.
    I'm a hobbyist, so until the wife allows more funds for new tools, I'll work with it,
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Every King machine I've ever seen is a copy of a Delta, right on down to the paint color. In a pinch, I have even used King parts on my old DJ-20 with no problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    In a pinch, I have even used King parts on my old DJ-20 with no problems.
    Probably your only choice, cause Delta certainly can't provide them.

King has two brands, "King Industrial" which seems to have an OK reputation and King Canada which is more consumer / low end and maybe not as well thought of.
    I have a King Industrial 8" jointer and have no complaints.

That would be the pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Probably your only choice, cause Delta certainly can't provide them.

I may be/probably am confused about this but I thought King was owned by Shiraz Balolia's (sp?) brother. Kind of Grizzly Canada.

Curt,that is Busy Bee tools. Their brand is now called Craftex.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I may be/probably am confused about this but I thought King was owned by Shiraz Balolia's (sp?) brother. Kind of Grizzly Canada.
    Close - Busy Bee tools who make Craftex is run by a Balolia. King is separate than this.