Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck Railing Ideas

Deck Railing Ideas

My wife wants me to redo the deck this summer possibly. I am struggling to find good ideas for the railing. Anyone have any pictures of their railing? I can't decide what to do. Our house is fairly unique/modern looking, so something in the modern look is what we are thinking. If anyone has some pictures of what they have done, I would appreciate the spark.
    Thanks,
    Zach
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door!"

I like CNC designs cut out of EXTERRA (exterior mdf). Pierced imbricated (fish scale ) designs are my favorite. The panels
    can fit into grooves cut into posts ,also made of EXTERRA ,then trimmed with a moulding.

glass panels?

Stainless steel cable railing. I don’t have picture of mine, on vacation, but it is modern and virtually disappears leaving an open look. Great for enhancing the view. It can be pricey but you can make two 90 degree turns per cable which saves a lot.

We used black conduit with our cedar deck. It meets code and you can see right through it.

6844135278_7af95d139a_o.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Second on the Stainless Steel Cable:

DeckRailings.jpg

We used hog wire - a very popular item here in the middle of IN.
    20190919_120115.jpg 20190919_120007.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Caldwell View Post
    My wife wants me to redo the deck this summer possibly. I am struggling to find good ideas for the railing. Anyone have any pictures of their railing? I can't decide what to do. Our house is fairly unique/modern looking, so something in the modern look is what we are thinking. If anyone has some pictures of what they have done, I would appreciate the spark.
    Thanks,
    Zach
    How high is the deck. Around here no railing is needed if the drop is less than 30". I like wood railings but when I built my new deck a left a wide stretch with no railing so I'd have an unobstructed view of the trees and the horses in the pasture. I do have a safety chain I can stretch across when small children or uncoordinated people visit.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    We used hog wire - a very popular item here in the middle of IN.
    20190919_120115.jpg 20190919_120007.jpg

I would spend a little more and get the flat horse panel wire grids

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would spend a little more and get the flat horse panel wire grids

the only horse panels TS had at the time were 2"x4", which was too busy looking, and 6"x6" which does not satisfy the 4" sphere code test. All were in the same ballpark $$ wise - was a matter of finding the panels with the largest openings that would pass inspection.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    Here, and many other places, the stainless cable type railings, or any other systems with horizontal elements between the top & bottom rail, are no longer legal because they are 'climbable'

I very nearly did the SS cable for my deck, and i am very happy i did not. I am on a bit of an elevated position with a second story deck, and it is quite nice to be seated and not have pedestrian/vehicular traffic see you. The cable railing is a fantastic choice if your house is Falling Water, and you have a great view without neighbors. Otherwise, keep in mind it offers nill in terms of privacy.

I dont have a photo of my place, but we ended up doing mostly clear and straight grain cedar for the railing. It looks very similar to the attached fence. I think it looks and feel contemporary without being ultra modern like a glass pane railing or SS cable. By the sounds of it, your house is considerably more unique than mine and it might compliment it well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I finished this a few weeks ago, am planning on something similar for the exterior of my place Upstate when I re-do the deck.

Besides the scale pattern there are "Chinese Chippendale " and many other patterns not seen much, in the book of
    Chinese lattices. Offering a few designs would be a good idea for anyone with a CNC. The prevailing wisdom around here
    is "ain't nobody asking for em' " But many carpenters can be seen seen cutting all those little sticks for Chinese
    Chippendale .

Not fitting for every style house, but works for some.
    Attached Images Attached Images