Thread: Working habits

Working habits

Because of Ken Hatch’s honing thread I got to thinking about habits, idiosyncratic things. When I go to the shop I usually do the same things. Turn the light over the bench on, flip the handle on the most used QR vise and close the chop, stick a pencil in the sharpener and then behind my ear, stick my 6” scale in my shirt pocket, pull a paper towel off the roll and fold it 4 square. I then pick a tool. If a plane, I turn it over and run my fingers heel to toe along the sole. If a chisel, I give it a couple of rubs on the strop bevel and back. If a saw, I pinch it at the heel and run down to the toe. I wipe the bench where I’m going to work with my palm. I rub the tool with my ever present oily rag. Now I’m ready. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Because of Ken Hatch’s honing thread I got to thinking about habits, idiosyncratic things. When I go to the shop I usually do the same things. Turn the light over the bench on, flip the handle on the most used QR vise and close the chop, stick a pencil in the sharpener and then behind my ear, stick my 6” scale in my shirt pocket, pull a paper towel off the roll and fold it 4 square. I then pick a tool. If a plane, I turn it over and run my fingers heel to toe along the sole. If a chisel, I give it a couple of rubs on the strop bevel and back. If a saw, I pinch it at the heel and run down to the toe. I wipe the bench where I’m going to work with my palm. I rub the tool with my ever present oily rag. Now I’m ready. What do you do?
    James,

Not quite as elaborate but still a routine. First up is to get all the lights on including the the bench lamps, then any stone that needs to soak into the tub. After that it branches off depending on if mid-project, new project, or just in the shop because it is my safe place.

ken

Blog Entries
    Lights, music then put away anything left out on my last visit to the shop.

From there is all depends on what is being done that day.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Funny, I was thinking about this last night when I went into the shop. walking in in the dark and turning on all the lights is one of my favorite things. Sounds silly, but just that simple act gives me a peaceful feeling - must be the safe place thing, Ken. Then the music, and my tool pouch, square in the back pocket. Make sure my cigar is lit correctly, and then on to the task at hand.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.