Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drill Press--Is bigger better?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Peck View Post
    You post reminded me of a CL listing I saw today. Here's a Clausing (at least most of a Clausing--no base) on Craigslist in Baltimore:

"https://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/d/hunt-valley-clausing-drill-press-head/7065426701.html"

That's a bit of a drive from TN, but if you really want a Clausing it may be worthwhile. No base, but it looks like most everything else is there, plus a bit of free rust. It looks like he was asking $750, and now is taking best offer by Feb 15.

I have no affiliation with the seller. Just thought it might be interesting to someone.
    Hmmm... I haven't been specifically looking for a Clausing and that probably is a great deal but that's a long way to go for an incomplete DP and getting there by the 15th just isn't going to happen. The fact that he hasn't sold it locally makes me wonder why if it really is a good deal. I was actually pointing out that some areas just don't see that kind of equipment on CL or local auctions ever.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-07-2020 at 7:37 AM.

Tom,

Is the 1/2" hole a through hole?

Could you drill the 1/2" hole first, then leave it in the hole to guide the table while raising the table?

Then remove the 1/2" bit (out the bottom of the through hole), insert the Forstner bit, and drill that hole last? A Forstner bit, especially in a DP, does not need the center to guide, it will guide on the rim.

Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    Tom,

Is the 1/2" hole a through hole?

Could you drill the 1/2" hole first, then leave it in the hole to guide the table while raising the table?

Then remove the 1/2" bit (out the bottom of the through hole), insert the Forstner bit, and drill that hole last? A Forstner bit, especially in a DP, does not need the center to guide, it will guide on the rim.

Andy - Arlington TX
    Andy, that was an example. I'm not specifically trying to solve that one problem. I'm making a point that I should not have come up with workarounds to maintain the bit center over a previous hole if the mechanism to raise and lower the drill press table was properly engineered to stay aligned. The overall problem is greater than a single instance on a specific drill press. The mechanism to raise and lower a DP has not evolved in the last 100 years to be really any better at all and I think it should.