Thread: I know this is not a Ring turning forum but . . . . .

I know this is not a Ring turning forum but . . . . .

Every once in a while I feel like doing something completely different and I often turn to making rings. I started out making rings from thin slices of various woods I make with a hand plane. Then I discovered that I could sort of "tie dyeing" them. This week I have been playing with stabilized Yellow Cedar Burl. I have made all my own accessories and tools other than a set of sizing rings and a ring size measure tool. I somethings stabilize with dyes in the Castus Juice which can add interesting details. Here are a couple of photos.
    IMG_0085 (1).jpegIMG_0083.jpeg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

It actually is a ring-turning forum...

That's a nice look

A lot of people dye figured wood. Jimmy Clewes is a proponent of soaking the dye so it penetrates deeply. Some brush selectively. Joe Fleming and others suggest airbrushing for lighter applications and/or more control.

Can't find yellow cedar burl around here! I've never seen a piece.

JKJ

Peter, If you turned it, we like it! Those are beautiful. Pleas show us some more of your work.

Some great ideas John some of which I already do but i haven't tried soaking. Gonna see if that helps. I took the pieces out of the Cactus Juice today and I really didn't get too much penetration. Oh, I do have a really cool chunk of Yellow Cedar Burl in my Kiln right now would you like me to send you a chunk to play with?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    It actually is a ring-turning forum...

That's a nice look

A lot of people dye figured wood. Jimmy Clewes is a proponent of soaking the dye so it penetrates deeply. Some brush selectively. Joe Fleming and others suggest airbrushing for lighter applications and/or more control.

Can't find yellow cedar burl around here! I've never seen a piece.

JKJ
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Hey Ted, thanks for the kind comments! I do post here so there are some photos of my pieces hiding about here. But here are a few recent shots. I really hate to take the time to do a proper job of taking the photos so most of my photos are just iPhone shots.
    IMG_0036.jpegIMG_0031.jpegIMG_0028.jpegIMG_0051.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg
    In order from left to right
    Silver Maple with Iridescent paint applied with a balloon.
    Hybrid maple burl clear Alumilite
    Red Maple with CODIT
    Silver Maple with handle which is the center section of another silver maple bowl from which I cut two wings for a Monster I made and this center section was left over. The bowl has a repaired crack that I want to install a couple of Pewas in but dragging my feet.
    Last photo is the Monster I made for a friends Carving challenge, it was fun but I'd rather be turning. All parts except the legs were turned. Can you sing "It was a one eyed one horned flying purple people eater . . . . . . . . One eyed etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Peter, If you turned it, we like it! Those are beautiful. Pleas show us some more of your work.
    Pete

Is that just dye in the alumilite? It has a really interesting pattern inside, but I'm having a hard time seeing what caused it. I really like seeing hybrids. I have some of that bumpy burl I bought, as well as the resin and home-made pressure pot, I just haven't gotten around to making the forms. I'd like have a try at the spheres, but in reality I'm guessing they'll be more egg-like.

The blue is blue dye that was drawn into the burl when it was stabilized in a blue dye Cactus Juice. Today I will be making a few or trying to make a few hybrid rings. I cast a tube of resin and Yellow Cedar Burl yesterday, sliced it with my new safe slicer. I like to work with round blanks rather than square because my home made ring holders are designed for round material. I'll post a photo or two tomorrow if the rings turn out.
    As far as your set-up goes just go for it. Spheres are a little tricky but fun to do and the end result is usually worth the effort. I find that if I sand with 400 and then 600 I can get a nice clear finish with the buffing through the three typical steps.
    Best of luck and please post what you make.
    Pete