Thread: Donaldson Torit dust collector?

Donaldson Torit dust collector?

I recently came across a Donaldson Torit MC-500 dust collector for what appears to be a good price ($350) and was wondering if any of you guys would recommend this unit for a wood working shop? It appears to me that these are marketed towards markets other than wood working. The thing that concerned me is that it is only a 1hp machine but I know that horse power is not always a direct indicator of CFM. The guy that is selling it told me he thought it has around 1,600cfm but wasn’t a 100% for sure. I did a brief search and couldn’t find the CFM specs for it. It is a 3 phase unit but that is fine as I have 3 phase power. It has all of the parts and accessories with it including the filters. If I buy it I would like to run a 6” main trunk line about 30-40ft with three drops reducing down to 4” at the machines. Machines include table saw, old 16” Dewalt RAS and jointer. Would this unit work with this scenario? Any advice?

No, with those specs it won't work. At that HP rating and maximum flow rate the fan curve will look more like a HVAC blower than a dust collector. The available pressure will be very low. It will be unable to push much air through your proposed ducting.

It might be useful dedicated to a miter saw hood or a downdraft table with a very short duct sized to match the inlet.

Edit to add: You might want to check the price of replacement filters too.
    Last edited by David L Morse; 02-04-2020 at 9:25 AM.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    1600 cfm is fantasy, even with no ducting & filters removed. The low power and long run of duct means that it will be inadequate.

If you ever plan to use a sandblasting cabinet, buy that beast and squirrel it away. Few units are better for clearing the air in a blasting cabinet than the smaller Torits (they come in power up to about 5hp for this usage). I have a 2hp/3P VibraShake that is fantastic - I run a single gun at 15cfm/80psi in a 6' cabinet and never have vision problems due to dust.

Donaldson also makes huge bag houses for woodworking factories - I saw one up in Lowell, MA several years ago that was 2.5 million CFM (yes, millions) channeled through 36" main ducts up to 1,200 feet long. Was surprised I didn't see workmen and machinery chained to the concrete floor to keep them in place.

Pretty sure they outlawed chaining down workmen during the 60s, but I believe some parties are arguing for it's return.

That model according to this ebay link is a Model 500 because it is 500 CFM!

https://www.ebay.com/i/152828986993?...RoCwQsQAvD_BwE