Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Complete set of Lie Nielsen bench planes

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    You would have LOVED a catalog I used to have....came from my late FIL's Hardware Store.....Boswick-Braun #43....with an ad from the Postal Service about the shipping rates for 1944...was only about 1700 pages....EVERYTHING a Hardware Store was liable to sell....including that all-important sparkplug for the clothes dryer....Based out of Toledo, OH. Got stashed in a closet a few years ago, not sure which one.
    J C Whitney catalog for rural life? I happen to have an iron (for ironing clothes), that was heated with white gas.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Speaking of hardware store catalogs, I have one from my Grandfather's General Store that came from a wholesale supplier. It has the postal rate from 1929. It's a hardback. It has a whole section with tools for working on cars too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-23-2020 at 8:00 AM.

Belknap used to be a catalog many hardware stores used for sourcing-had everything, from miter boxes & handplanes to firearms to pot belly stoves. The Herter catalog for woodworkers!

That catalog has that too. I expect there were suppliers to wholesalers. Earlier, I have shown a picture of a GGF with a Parker double barrel. That catalog still has them in there, in several trim levels. The amazing thing to me is the amount of stuff for working on cars, even down to the overalls for the mechanics to wear.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Speaking of hardware store catalogs, I have one from my Grandfather's General Store that came from a wholesale supplier. It has the postal rate from 1929. It's a hardback. It has a whole section with tools for working on cars too.
    That is interesting, when a hardware store not far from me was clearing out their building one of my finds was the forerunner of the Stearns spoke pointer pictured at the bottom of the page in your catalog:

Attachment 426548

Here is that story > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?274403

There must have been a few 'catalog' suppliers to small business back in the day. My folks had a few catalogs from different suppliers. The one that comes to mind was a San Francisco merchant, to the best of my memory, was Dunning, Carington & Harrison. My mom referred to them as Dirty, Crummy and Hungry.

Another memory about the catalogs is occasionally on rainy days my brothers and me would sit around the table and look at all the neat and unusual things they had.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-23-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

How about walking downtown to where the department stores were and watching TV through the display windows? Pretty neat, and you didn't miss the sound, because you never knew it existed!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    How about walking downtown to where the department stores were and watching TV through the display windows? Pretty neat, and you didn't miss the sound, because you never knew it existed!
    That was something only seen in movies or on TV. My folks had a furniture and appliance store and sold TVs. Many of my afternoons were spent in their store watching TV and sometimes sweeping the floors or helping with deliveries.

One of my favorite shows was Science Fiction Theater. It was also one of my wife's favorites. Of course we didn't meet until a couple of decades after it was off the air.

We also used to watch movies in the same theater.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Maybe walking into the local Western Auto store?

Am trying to get a set of Millers Falls bench planes...have the No. 8 and No.9, and 3 jack planes...
    Heart of Ohio, 3 jacks.JPG
    Everything above a #5 is also covered by Stanley....5-1/2 to 8.

B & B out of Toledo, OH had a 1953 catalog....all paper, and only about half of what the 1943 issue had.

Maybe walking into the local Western Auto store?

Am trying to get a set of Millers Falls bench planes...have the No. 8 and No.9, and 3 jack planes...
    Heart of Ohio, 3 jacks.JPG
    Everything above a #5 is also covered by Stanley....5-1/2 to 8.

B & B out of Toledo, OH had a 1953 catalog....all paper, and only about half of what the 1943 issue had.

Where are the MF Buck Rogers planes? The collector part of me has one of each Buck Rogers tools, though they are not for using.

The Buck Rogers planes are very scarce around here.....I do have a few other items....No. 100 push drill, no. 104 Eggbeater drill. and a few of the Permaloid chisels....I did see the Buck Rogers brace down at Heart of Ohio....The M-F No. 15 plane was more important.....

The Buck Rogers planes are very scarce around here.....I do have a few other items....No. 100 push drill, no. 104 Eggbeater drill. and a few of the Permaloid chisels....I did see the Buck Rogers brace down at Heart of Ohio....The M-F No. 15 plane was more important.....
    I would buy a#15 in a heart beat-the 5-1/2 planes are a favorite size of mine (with the 3). I think the MF with the two piece lever caps, are the equal of any metallic plane out there.

There are questions whether the brace was a Buck Rogers tool or not, but I still bought one.
    Last edited by Tony Zaffuto; 02-25-2020 at 3:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think the MF with the two piece lever caps, are the equal of any metallic plane out there.
    Even my MF made Dunlap given to my grandson was an equal to my Stanley planes.

jtk