Thread: Complete set of Lie Nielsen bench planes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is complete?

With regards to hand planes, in my opinion, a set is complete when you have all of the planes that you need for the work that you do (which of course can evolve and mean that you can acquire what you need and sell what you no longer use). So your complete set is different from mine.

I have 24 LN pieces in my kit. I made my living with them for many years. There are a few that I'd sell in a minute if I was inclined to do so.

For bench planes I'd buy no smaller than #3 although I own a #2 and use it. I'd skip the #4 and go #4 1/2 however I have a #4 and see no need for the #4 1/2. The Jack has a place but just. The #7 is essential. The #8 not a bit if you use machinery... Low angle bench sizes, skip them. I have one and will sell it when I am inclined.

Block planes. The smaller the better. I love the 102s. They make you feel like you have fingernails that cut wood. Skewed block planes? Meh.

Rabbet planes? Uh huh. Own the block and dedicated bench if you have the $$$.

Shoulder planes are a favourite of mine. The little LN 1/2" bronze job is worth dying for. I have the big boy and that rounds it out. Done.

The iron mitre #9? The grail! Find one. Buy one!

Beading scraper? Own it. Make your own profiles

Scraper planes. Ouch. I have a tough time with these as I think that the Stanley #88 is the sh!t. The LN small and large scrapers are in my kit but they are funky at best. The small has earned it's keep when I am making bamboo fly rods. The large should likely go to a collector...

Spoke shaves, as many as you can horde. I mean afford. I mean need.

Saws? Dovetail. Rip and Cross back saws. Choose your size, I chose for joinery, carcass need not apply.

Panel saws? LN saws are too short and honestly I bought PAX from LV. Sharpen them yourself and they are weapons.

I've built guitars, canoes, furniture and houses. The above tools were all essential to me and have earned a right in my crib. Your mileage may vary as they say.

Chisels? Don't get me started...

The long and short of it? Just because a manufacturer makes it, sequences it, doesn't mean that you need it. Buy what you need to make what you want. Collecting is for stamps.
    Last edited by Chris Fournier; 02-15-2020 at 8:07 PM.