Thread: Finishing advice for Hickory?

Finishing advice for Hickory?

I'm doing a second project with Hickory and wanted to get some finishing advice. My first project, I used Tung Oil and sprayed several coats of lacquer. It came out awesome. For my current project, I'm going to be spraying Enduro-var. Should I put something under the Enduro-var? If I use Tung Oil, would I have to wait a week or two for that to fully cure before spraying the Enduro-var? Other suggestions?

What is the project? I have tried soap finish on a bunch of small pieces, regular old Castille soap from Krogers, the kind that says palm oil on the ingredients was a good match with hickory - depending on what you are doing with the hickory thing. I think it would do great on say dining room chairs, sort of low maintenance semi-glossy; but lousy for say a bar top that would be wet repeatedly.

I'm making a baseball bat rack, so the finish needs to be rather hardy which is why I'm going with Enduro-var for the top coat.

From the research I did this morning when I couldn't sleep, the conclusion is that I would be fine spraying the Enduro-var over the Tung Oil as long as I let the oil fully cure.

General Finishes advises to put EnduroVar only over itself or well cured stains/dyes. I would do a test panel if you want to try putting it over tung oil.

John

I think it would look almost the same without tung oil underneath. Enduro-Var is oil modified so it will give some amber tint like the oil. John is right -- GF is clear that putting it over an oil is not recommended.

Ok, I'll try a cutoff piece of Hickory with just the Enduro-Var and see how it comes out.