Thread: New JNat

New JNat

I'm such a sucker for JNats. There is just something about them that touch my soul. Bottom line I ordered a Ohira Range Suita of medium hardness a couple of weeks ago and it arrived today.

I'll need to Cashew Lacquer the bottom and sides but I could not resist putting iron to stone before doing it.

Out of the box:

stoneSuitaA.jpg

Slurry from the back of the chisel:

stoneSuitaB.jpg

Slurry from the bevel:

stomeSuitaC.jpg

It should be a good finishing stone. It makes a slurry very easily and cuts quickly. the finish is a very smooth Kasumi (cloudy finish) with beautiful separation between the soft iron and hard steel.

ken

Ken- Nice suita. They really are highly addictive. I fell down the rabbit hole a couple years ago and I definitely have more stones than I need at this point.

I’ve come to enjoy sharpening and honing on Jnats so much that a few months ago I took up shaving with a straight razor so I have another excuse to diversify the stone collection!! Haha! It’s an illness I, know. Nothing like shaving with a white steel razor, and now I can chase my sharp obsession to the furthest extents without looking like a maniac. Haha!

Enjoy your new stone!
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Ken- Nice suita. They really are highly addictive. I fell down the rabbit hole a couple years ago and I definitely have more stones than I need at this point.

I’ve come to enjoy sharpening and honing on Jnats so much that a few months ago I took up shaving with a straight razor so I have another excuse to diversify the stone collection!! Haha! It’s an illness I, know. Nothing like shaving with a white steel razor, and now I can chase my sharp obsession to the furthest extents without looking like a maniac. Haha!

Enjoy your new stone!
    Brian,

It is nice to know others share the same sickness and it is a sickness. I'm not sure what drives it but it could be the feel of the iron on stone or maybe just the organic beauty of the surface left.. or the fact each stone is different and needs to be learned. Whatever I'm a sucker for JNats.

BTW, I'm afraid to count my stones and I sure do not want MsBubba to go there .

ken