Thread: 1963 Dewalt RAS- should I buy?

1963 Dewalt RAS- should I buy?

can someone try and educate me a tad on this model, and if it's a good model to pursue? Got a chance to buy on CL, and price is $150. Says its in great condition, and it does look like it's been well cared for in the pics. Not sure what exactly to look for in these, or basically, are there models and or years to look for, or stay away from with these old Dewalt RASs?

I'm just planning on setting it next to my new dewalt SCMS on a long bench, and mostly use it setup for dedicated dadoes.
    Thoughts?? Appreciate ANY & all advise. TY!! Dave

Dave,
    If it’s in the stated condition and the model begins with G or M, that’s a decent price, but it would help if you included the CL link or at least the model. While the anti-kickback pawl is desirable, it’s not a necessity for dadoing but is a must for ripping.
    If you buy it, I would recommend 2 books:
    Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw, by John Eakes
    How to Master the Radial Saw!, by Wally Kunkel (Mr. Sawdust)

Sorry, thought I did. All I know is it is a 1963 model # 500274. Add has almost no info, that's what she told me

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Dave,
    If it’s in the stated condition and the model begins with G or M, that’s a decent price, but it would help if you included the CL link or at least the model. While the anti-kickback pawl is desirable, it’s not a necessity for dadoing but is a must for ripping.
    If you buy it, I would recommend 2 books:
    Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw, by John Eakes
    How to Master the Radial Saw!, by Wally Kunkel (Mr. Sawdust)

That’s too much for that model. Without seeing it it’s hard to set a price point, but I’d say $75 tops if it’s in primo condition. It’s a small, somewhat underpowered saw (probably 9” and 9 amp motor), good for dadoing and mitering /crosscutting < 2” stock but not much else.

Btw, check out www.vintagemachinery.org for more info about Dewalt RASs. Also Delphi Forums has a forum dedicated to them.

Radial arm saws are huge space hogs. I started out making furniture with one and a router. Haven't owned one since around 1982. I'd absolutely not buy a 9".

I would buy it in a heartbeat. Radial arm saws get a bad rap and its a bunch of nonsense.
    If it is used for framing on a job site you can get away with a sloppy saw setup.
    In a shop setting it is can be more accurate and repeatable than a chop box.
    In a shop you want the saw on a stand or solid base and make sure the saw is stable.
    You want to set up your table and fence correctly and there is a video on You tube that is a slide presentation that is less than 10 minutes long and explains the process very well.
    Finally you want your extension tables to be solid and level.

Blog Entries
    I have one. It sits on a cabinet with drawers, wheels, and 1X12 extensions to the side top assist in sheet goods or ripping. I made it using plywood. The side extensions are attached with door hinges.
    I prop the sides up with 1X4s when ripping.

I have had at least 10. Some of the older ones only had a 1/2 HP motor, which is not good for dado's. I also would not get a 9".

I picked up an absolutely beautiful 1965 10" Delta/Rockwell turret job from the original owner. It was a beautiful machine, but I sold it quickly because the 1/2 HP would not do dado's without bogging down. Hated to see it go, but it just was not useful for making dado's and drawers which is what I wanted it for.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

If it is an MBC, MBF, or other 9" model, that is a high price to pay even in fine condition.