Thread: Suggestions for Tall Tripod for Laser Level

Suggestions for Tall Tripod for Laser Level

I purchased a Bosch laser level a few years ago. It's been invaluable for many things, but the tripod that Bosch sells is too short for many tasks. When I added two tripod extensions, it's now wobbly, and still not high enough for many tasks.

My present setup now tops out at 80", but in reality, the tripod itself without extensions is only 60" fully extended.

Anyone know a good source of tripods that are at least 60" (just the leg part) and can extend securely to 80" or preferably higher?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

There are a lot of photographic tripods that the legs extend to 60" or more. I'd look at someplace like KEH for used ones.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Anyone know a good source of tripods that are at least 60" (just the leg part) and can extend securely to 80" or preferably higher?
    Are you looking for a tripod to be used indoors or outdoors on a construction site? I think the one I use outdoors with my big laser level goes to 72", quite sturdy with the spikes pressed into the ground. There are longer ones here: https://www.engineersupply.com/surveying-tripods.aspx I didn't look hard but the one I checked at random said it extended to over 81". They are not cheap.

JKJ

This should do the job for you:

https://www.fastcap.com/product/laserjamb-lj4-pro

- or-

a copy if you're a gambler :

https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-S...a-834799924453

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Are you looking for a tripod to be used indoors or outdoors on a construction site? I think the one I use outdoors with my big laser level goes to 72", quite sturdy with the spikes pressed into the ground. There are longer ones here: https://www.engineersupply.com/surveying-tripods.aspx I didn't look hard but the one I checked at random said it extended to over 81". They are not cheap.

JKJ
    Indoors, so really need rubber feet more than spikes.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

If your bosch is the one with the magnet mount, just hang it on a piece of steel screwed to a wall somewhere. Works good for the little Dewalts we use, gives infinite adjustability and gets the laser further from the bounciest spots on the floor. The big jobsite lasers we use are too big for magnet mounts though, so they do have to have something more substantial. Usually they have a wall mount provision built in though, like a slotted screw hole.

The biggest beef I have with the construction tripods is that they don't have easy height adjustment. Camera and hunters spotting scope tripods usually do though.

For indoor use I use a fastcap 3rd hand with their accessory laser mount. It has rubber pads top and bottom and comes in handy for lots of other holding tasks when I'm not using it for a laser, like supporting upper cabinets for installation or holding up dust containment walls, or even wall top plates when building a wall in place. Since most lasers are self leveling within reason, you don't have to plumb the pole, just stick it roughly vertical and you're good. Only issue I had is that I had to add some sticky sandpaper to the laser mount because it had a tendency to slide on the pole with a heavy laser attached. With the sandpaper it works like a charm.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I generally will use a piece of 1/2" iron pipeand use either the sliding clamp (preferred with the round pipe) or the magnetic angle bracket. Taht is usually the exterior solution although at times I have used it inside. I have plywood walls in the shop so the angle bracket can be placed anywhere in the shop.