Thread: Long term storage of Festool dominos

Blog Entries

Long term storage of Festool dominos

A friend gave me a new Domino (long story). I will use it but not daily. How should I store the Dominos? Are the compressed and, if so, will they absorb moisture, expand and become useless?

i had a problem with some old biscuits. I got out some old ones and about half wouldn’t go in the slots.

I typically store mine in the Systainer they came in, in plastic bags (albeit not sealed ones). I've not had issues with them swelling, and live in South Florida.

That being said, I do think about that. I keep meaning to place them in ziploc bags.

I've heard of people microwaving dominos and biscuits to remove moisture before use. You could certainly do that if it becomes an issue.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a box of 1140, that are in sealed plastic bags of about 200 per bag. I've had these for 5+ years. Once a bag is opened, and I'm periodically taking dominos from it, I've not noticed any difference in fit from swelling or shrinkage.

The box just sits in my non climate controlled garage outside.

I guess the bag that is open, I could transfer those to a zip loc bag, but I've not seen this concern raised before.

Blog Entries
    Alan, good idea. I’ll go get some biscuits, measure them and then try microwaving or baking.

I don't think they're pre-compressed. I have had no issues storing them like any other lumber around the shop.

They're so small, if you noticed any problems, there are lots of ways to 'super dry' them (microwave, oven).

You won't be able to keep them from equilibrating with the ambient moisture for any period of time without disproportional effort.

I used to use a lot of 1 1/2 "dowels when making garden benches , for a wholesale business .
    Stored the dowels in surplus metal army ammunition boxes , preferred the 50 cal .
    never had a problem , just make sure the boxes are genuine government issued ammunition boxes - there a some counterfeit knock offs out there

Ive had mine for 5 years or so and I have a silica absorbing thing in every drawer in the garage. If they turn pink just bake them for a couple hours to renew. I have never had any problems.

I just toss them wherever with no special care. They're solid wood, so they act like any other solid wood. Any movement is negligible.

I’ve needed to dry some old dominoes out before. I used a microwave.

The type of wood you are mortising can also affect the ability to fit the dominoes.

Matt

Add my name to those who keep them in their original plastic bag in a tool drawer. They don’t shrink or swell noticeably, even in the driest and most humid times of the year.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart