Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setup for Sharpening with Sandpaper of Film

I used water like Tom. You guys who glue them down, must have plates for all the grits?
    I've since invested in stones, since IMO sandpaper is pretty costly, because they don't last too long, and repeatedly replacing the sheets adds up slowly. A good stone set while pricey, on the other hand, should last a long long time.

Kyle, thanks for chiming in. I was using water stones but got tired of having to flatten them, so that's when I decided to try this method. You're right, the expense of replacing sandpaper/film adds up. I'm thinking about getting a 2 sided diamond stone, and just using the finer films for honing. I just got a leather strop and honing compound, and that will be my last step no matter which method I end up using down the road, it's awesome.

I don't use sandpaper for sharpening irons, or chisels, but it comes in handy for other things, like jointer knives, and odd stuff that won't fit on the stones, but you still want flat.

My problem is my diamond plates aren’t even close to flat. Not sure if that was the way they came (didn’t check at the time), or it’s occurred from wear. I’m at a point to either replace and/or try something else. The 3M films on glass seems like a nice way to go because they don’t require the soaking or flattening (I really don’t like the mess that comes with wet stones and I don’t have a sink or source of water in the shop).

Blog Entries
    I don’t have a sink or source of water in the shop
    My source of water in the shop is a milk jug and a spray bottle. For soaking a small plastic storage container.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Woo-Hoo, I think my problem is solved! It looks like the reason that the film was sticking so badly was entirely based on the marble tile I was using. Even though it looks and feels completely smooth, with a glossy finish, apparently it is nowhere near as slick as glass. I’ve attached a piece of the self adhesive film to one of the glass tiles from HD, and it adheres nicely but I can still easily lift up a corner and start to peel it off. I could never do that with the marble, it would take lots of scraping with a putty knife. I still like the idea of having each grit on its’ own 4x12 tile, so for now I’m sticking with them.

Phil, I’m no expert, but I’ve read that many of the earlier and/or less expensive diamond stones have flatness issues. This may not apply to you, but it seems that if you go that route you need to buy a high quality stone, and those will stay flat. I’m sure others here can offer some more insight.

I had a diamond stone that worked for a while. Now it's under about 45 feet of water, joining other stuff that proved to be only good enough to see how far you can throw it.

8. They cost a but more, but for me a granite machinist plate was a good investment and serves a multitude of uses.

The 9x12 from Woodcraft used to be on sale several times a year for $26 or 7. I'm not sure what they go for now. I bought a couple of them. One is flat to .001MM, and that a smooth hump in the middle.

Tom, good one. If I was near a lake that is probably where mine would be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The 9x12 from Woodcraft used to be on sale several times a year for $26 or 7. I'm not sure what they go for now. I bought a couple of them. One is flat to .001MM, and that a smooth hump in the middle.
    2" x 9" x 12" surface plate is in the February Sale Flyer for $30.

According to this test done by Wood Magazine, sandpaper wears out very fast, 5-7 minutes of sharpening. Interesting..

https://www.woodmagazine.com/file/87...token=ka5vzPeb

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    According to this test done by Wood Magazine, sandpaper wears out very fast, 5-7 minutes of sharpening. Interesting..

https://www.woodmagazine.com/file/87...token=ka5vzPeb
    The 3M Abrasive film I use lasts for many months. I got the multi pack last time and that was 3-4 years ago.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

The abrasive material used would change how long things last. A lot, actually.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    The abrasive material used would change how long things last. A lot, actually.
    Last night, I was ripping through 3M and Norton sandpaper for flattening the back of two plane blades. I was able to very quickly use up the sand paper, but it was not diamond film. One of the blades took significant work to flatten the back and I stopped when I was about 1/4" inch of flat and shiny from the tip of the blade for part of it. There a hollow in the back center it seemed. Some brand new planes that have been sitting there waiting to be setup for user. The #7 plane took significant work to flatten the back of the blade.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-made-in-India

4.5 years later, I am working on the #6 and the #5. When finished, the #7 worked great. Will now see how well the #6 and #5 work when I am done.

Flattening the back always seems to rip through my sandpaper, though. I have not actual sharpening with it in a while so I cannot comment on that. I expect flattening to be more brutal on the sand paper than sharpening.