Thread: Power feeder for Router Table?

Power feeder for Router Table?

Hi guys,

I am putting together a router table. Cast iron top, Jessem heavy duty fence, lift and 2.5hp round body motor.

I can currently get a 1/4hp power feeder on clearance for $399 aud down from $999-, so about $280 USD vs $680 USD and am wondering if it's a good idea.

My main concern is the feed speed which may be too fast for larger cuts (like a large stile bit for a door) for the motor and bearings to handle. The minimum feed speed is 17ft/min on this feeder.

Is it handy to have on a router table? I imagine that it may be handy to climb cut using it occasionally where tear ojt might be an issue, and for general batch processing of T&G boards etc?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Dom

I don't know why it can't work,people use them on jointers, and tablesaws.
    I don't think you'll be taking full depth cuts with it, but you wouldn't anyway with some of the larger router profiles, such as door sets.
    17ft/min isn't that fast. Won't know until you try it. Just go slow and check it out.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I don't know why it can't work,people use them on jointers, and tablesaws.
    I don't think you'll be taking full depth cuts with it, but you wouldn't anyway with some of the larger router profiles, such as door sets.
    17ft/min isn't that fast. Won't know until you try it. Just go slow and check it out.
    Thanks Mike,

Looks like I missed the boat. Sold out this morning. Thought that would happen. Oh well.

Cheers, Dom

It's been my experience that the power feeders are too fast for a router. Especially on end grain panel raising.

Not for panel raising but have used it a lot for other simpler profiles.

doors12.jpgc6.jpg

I tried using mine for a while, but installation was a bear in my combination tablesaw/router table cabinet (they are heavy), and found it just got in the way. It did work well in use.

Mine is sitting on the floor if you're interested.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

those baby feeders are on ebay in the price range you talked about every day.

You might want to look into the Jessem roller guides for router tables. They will allow you to feed one piece after another when doing multiples, and they reduce burning because of how they keep the stock against the fence.

Not a feeder, but perhaps helpful in your situation.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.