Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer Time

That's awesome!! I now see its lighter mate in the first picture. I didn't look that closely, at first. Is the head one piece?

Wow, Rob, nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    That's awesome!! I now see its lighter mate in the first picture. I didn't look that closely, at first. Is the head one piece?

It's a two piece head connected with a threaded rod in the middle. I made it from a shower door handle like the one below. It really works nice. The smaller version still has a raw handle. Once I get done with final sanding I'll likely finish it the same as the first. It's a maple handle. I'll hit it with india ink and a clearcoat. Here's teh original build thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....73#post2938173

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That's using your head!

Router Plane Project, chisel clean up.JPG
    Seems I inherited mine....a Tinner's Riveting hammer .....chisel hammer/ small nail hammer...
    Leftovers, tight fit.JPG
    the other hammer..is a small rawhide mallet ( Rowdy Yates model) that I wrapped with black tape, to keep it from peeling...
    handle finished1.jpg
    My version of a "Lump Hammer"....
    IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg
    And a couple 24oz framers, from when I worked as a Carpenter....wood handled, of course....hands can't seem to grip the Estwing's blues

Y’all need Ron Baird’s book “The Hammer : King of Tools.” Interesting read. Expensive to buy, but interesting to read.

Rob - What is the second-from-left hammer (double headed brass/bronze with soft faces?) in your photo used for. I have seen photos of those before and something about them has always called to me. What is it named or what is a best use for it?
    David

You don't have many hammers unless you have a hammer till. Metal workers (blacksmiths, copper/brass smiths, tinsmiths, silversmiths, etc.) may have hundreds of hammers, typically in open racks for easy access.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I’ve always had a thing for hammers. Simple, dependable, low maintenance. I was organizing my shop this morning and I think I may have a problem.
    Not even close to a problem. I think I have more than that in a single drawer. I stopped counting in my head at two dozen, and that is just claw and ball peen hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Rob - What is the second-from-left hammer (double headed brass/bronze with soft faces?) in your photo used for. I have seen photos of those before and something about them has always called to me. What is it named or what is a best use for it?
    It's a Cabinet Makers Mallet from Lee Valley.

It's a nice mid size mallet with two replaceable maple faces. I have one faced with a disc of cowhide to offer a softer strike. It's good for assembly work. It's similar to the cast iron version to the left. That one has oak faces with leather on one as well. The iron version is my main persuader. The short handle and extra heft make it easy to use and very effective. I use it to whack holdfasts and such.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-06-2020 at 6:00 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks Rod.
    David