Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long wood countertop advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I would use a scarf joint...
    This. Scarph lumber of matching grain and color to produce long enough lengths.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    86.jpgNMC_Laundry.jpeg

Finished project. Thanks for the help !

Beautiful! But you have to tell us how you ended up making it....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I’d just buy it from Boos Brothers or equivalent. I’m going to be buying some 15’x30” tops for work. Free shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Beautiful! But you have to tell us how you ended up making it....

I agree, looks great. I can’t tell if there’s a joint or not. What did you end up doing?

I installed a wood countertop near a sink many years ago, and tore it out two years ago. Even with regular maintenance and waxing, water will get on it and it will cup.

There is no way I would want to repeat that mistake, and if I was in the business of installing it, and I would have a sit down with the owner and have him/her sign something that acknowledges the risks of cupping downstream (even with maintenance) and the fact that this countertop will be a maintenance slut.
    Regards,

Tom

Live edge the hell out of it.

Have a tree 16' tree trunk sawed out, live edge two sides, maybe some roots at one end. Screw some cup holders on to projecting roots.

Safety note: trim branches off flush to trunk.

This will require a strong sales game to ease the customer into a perfect solution. Promotional materials would include photos of attractive people enjoying each other's company around a tree.

Beautiful work! I love the design idea of wrapping the wood surface up the side of the laundry equipment and the wall in that photo.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    Live edge the hell out of it.

Have a tree 16' tree trunk sawed out, live edge two sides, maybe some roots at one end. Screw some cup holders on to projecting roots.

Safety note: trim branches off flush to trunk.

This will require a strong sales game to ease the customer into a perfect solution. Promotional materials would include photos of attractive people enjoying each other's company around a tree.
    Wish there was a like button

looks awesome. I know it's already done and installed, but would walnut plywood have worked well in this application?

That all looks really great. I love your taste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Young View Post
    looks awesome. I know it's already done and installed, but would walnut plywood have worked well in this application?
    I would not use walnut plywood, or any other veneer faced plywood, for a counter top. The veneer is literally paper thin & the slightest abrasion can damage it beyond repair. A counter is for working on and will get lots of wear and tear.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I would not use walnut plywood, or any other veneer faced plywood, for a counter top. The veneer is literally paper thin & the slightest abrasion can damage it beyond repair. A counter is for working on and will get lots of wear and tear.
    That makes sense. Thank you.