Thread: Suggestion for a 1/8" spacer (I cut the legs too short ugh)

Suggestion for a 1/8" spacer (I cut the legs too short ugh)

I am making a small rolling bench for my table saw using scrap pieces of 2x4s.

I managed to miter saw them on the wrong side of my pencil mark and now the legs are 1/8" too short.

I will be screwing casters into the ends.

Any suggestions as to an easy spacer or pad or something I can put between the caster and the legs to make up for my 1/8" miss?

Thanks!
    Alan

Would the 1/8” spacer be fully supported? If so piece of Masonite or ply, if not then I would cut them shorter and use a piece of 3/4 ply or solid to make up the dif. If you don’t have access to the 1/8” material do the latter

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Garber View Post

I managed to miter saw them on the wrong side of my pencil mark and now the legs are 1/8" too short.

Any suggestions as to an easy spacer or pad or something I can put between the caster and the legs to make up for my 1/8" miss?

Thanks!
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Garber View Post

Thanks!
    Alan

Uh, 1/8" thick pieces of wood?
    A quick way to do this might be to shim with some paint stirring sticks from Home Depot. I believe they are 1/8" thick.

I would re-think screwing casters into the ends of 2x4's. The end grain will eventually crumble and the screws will probably loosen and fall out.

Washers on top of the casters.

What johnny said.

Side mount casters avoid the problems of going into end grain on soft wood, and also provide the opportunity for adjustment at the end of the project.

Thank you everyone. I have some washers and some paint stirring sticks so that will be $0.
    Don't want to buy more material (i.e. side-mount casters) but I like that idea and will use it next bench.

I will try to find a heavy piece of rubber .... that might help the height issue and give some shock absorption so the casters don't pull out easily.

And I had not considered the end grain issue .... I have some dowel so maybe put a few in at right angles to the 2x4 and the casters can screw into those.

Funny ... a slight mistake has caused a lot of thinking!

Nice brass washers, painted washer, contrasting wood or plastic. You can not hide the difference so do not even try. Make it obvious, it is a "feature".
    I would make them from walnut or oak and fume them in a jar until they are black as ebony.
    Bil lD