Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input needed: inexpensive on/off switch for HF dust collector

Input needed: inexpensive on/off switch for HF dust collector

Until I can afford a remote (wireless) switch for my HF dust collector (with bandsaw for now)...Does anyone know of an inexpensive option? my understanding is the wireless ones are close to $100 +. What about a foot switch...press once to turn on...and once to turn off? Just tired of walking around to turn it on and off. Ive searched with no real success. Pardon my ignorance folks. Thanks

SWS

I have a remote for my shop vac that I tried on my HF DC. It would turn it on, but not off. Seems that the startup amps were too high for the remote. I would fiddle with it to get it to work again and it did the same thing. Decided not to try after the third time. I have mine wired to a wall switch that I control with a ordinary light switch. It works fine, but still have to walk a short distance, usually no more than 20-25 feet at best.
    I've read where some folks have used the remote light switches from HF that plug into the wall receptacle and you plug your DC into it. It has a remote that powers the receptacle. It would seem to me that the amps would affect that one too, but may not. Worth a try, they don't cost much.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

instead of using remotes why don't you think about putting 3 and 4 way switches at each machine you want the dust collector to run at. no batterys required either.

The price of a remote control depends upon how much power you're switching. If your HF dust collector runs from 115 volts, it can't be pulling more than 15 amps. I see those advertised for $25 or so -- Woodcraft and others. Heck, on Amazon I see a tool-triggered switch for $34; turn on your bandsaw, and the DC turns on.

So be more specific about how much power your DC wants, at what voltage, and you may get better help here.

This was recently discussed here for a 240V system:

220v remote switch for Dust collector

most of the suggestions would also apply to high-current 120V systems.

If you're electrically challenged (as am I) its a lot easier to just look for a sale and buy what you need. I found one on sale at woodcraft several years ago for $39 that has worked like a charm ever since on my HF 2hp DC. No name on label - just says 110volt, 1-1/2 hp Remote, made in Taiwan. Probably using it beyond its max - if HF is honest about the hp of these DC units, but its never failed. (I'd guess the HF 2hp is really closer to 1-1/2 hp)...

If your unit is 110, 15amps, how about a remote electrical outlet switch from Amazon for $10.00?

Great input.... Thanks. My electrical skills are fairly basic. I do however, always like a chance to learn more. Anyway, here's some more info:

HF DC (model 61790) 120VAC...15amp...2hp ......fwiw, the DC just happens to be on a dedicated 110/20.

While looking at the suggestions in this thread and digging around online, I ran across a linemaster 632-DA foot switch for $10.50, listed as used in the typical Amazon listing....knowing it could be used somewhere if not in this situation, so I went ahead and purchased it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GRD8Y2...p_mob_ap_share

20a/125v...and 1.5hp... so, 1.5hp switch limitation vs 2hp DC... would the foot switch still work (safely) with the DC?... btw, im really curious how this HF 2hp motor become a limitation or, in my situation, does it?

Im still looking at all of the options in this thread..any input is always welcome. Thanks folks

SWS

It's a 1.5HP motor. The dust collector in it's stock configuration will demand no more than about 1.4HP from the motor.

The 1.5HP rating of the switch is appropriate for that motor.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Thank you very much David.

11. I went low tech mechanical and pull cords. I find it works great and I can get to it from both sides of the shop and middle aisle. The cords are threaded through screw eyes and there are loops of shock cord in the system to avoid pulling too hard on the switch arm. I only have two sets of cords but you could run pairs of on off cords all over the shop if needed. Cost? next to nothing.

I like the way you think. Like the price too!

SWS

13. Quote Originally Posted by Stark Suggs View Post
    I like the way you think. Like the price too!

SWS
    FWIW, the parts at the switch are all held in place with no screws or glue. The arm has a hole that fits the switch with a firm friction fit and the cords are set so they pull slightly down on it. The other parts are held on with two cable ties. Easy peasy. I threw the whole thing together faster than I could have installed most of the other electrical options and I actually like it better. The cords hang down near the machines and have pieces of red or black plastic marking them as start or stop.

I'm still waiting for the day. "Alexa, start the dust collector".

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    I'm still waiting for the day. "Alexa, start the dust collector".
    I think you can do that now. A friend who is physically limited has his set up to control numerous things in his house and shop.