Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinder Questions

Grinder Questions

I am in the market for a new grinder for sharpening lathe tools. How big of a deal is horsepower? Is a 1/2 hp 1750 rpm 8"x1" grinder adequate or will I wish I'd bought a 1 hp? I don't see where the power is a big deal. Am I wrong?

I like the looks of the Rikon model 80-805 Slow Speed Grinder because it looks like a good basic no frills model at a cheap price. The rests on the Jet look nicer, but I figure I'll probably either be using some shop made bench mounted ones or buying the wolverine system, so why spring for the more expensive grinder and not use the nice rests. I have been using a shop built clone of the vari-grind and a shop built tool rest with a cheap harbor freight grinder.

Am I on the right track or will I regret this choice?

I have the 1 hp Rikon. I was going to get the 1/2 hp but decided to go for broke. It was only around $80 more. The people I talked with said the 1/2 hp is adequate for lathe tools. It takes around 7-8 seconds for it to ramp up speed before using. The 1 hp gets there in less than 2 seconds. You would be fine with either one. Great grinders, especially with CBN wheels. A good source for Rikon grinders is WoodTurnersWonders. Ken Rizza is who I bought from. He had the cheapest on the market for them at the time I purchased mine.
    https://woodturnerswonders.com/colle...rikon-grinders
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Pete, I forgot to mention that there is virtually no vibration in these grinders, at least not the one's I've used. I too went from a 6 inch HF grinder that I had to bolt down. If I didn't it would bounce off the bench, and could never rely on it for a good edge.

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Pete, I forgot to mention that there is virtually no vibration in these grinders, at least not the one's I've used. I too went from a 6 inch HF grinder that I had to bolt down. If I didn't it would bounce off the bench, and could never rely on it for a good edge.
    Yeah, my HF is pretty much junk hence my need for a new grinder.

Did you buy the Spartan 8" CBN wheels? The price looks attractive.

Woodcraft has the Rikon Model 80-805 for $109.99 ($50 off) this month. I haven't shopped around too much but suspect that price will be hard to beat.

I have a 3/4 hp “master force” from menards (around $110 on sale) and like it - it takes about 3-4 sec to get to speed.
    Tom

The CBN wheels are a lot heavier that the standard grinding stone. If you plan on going with CBN wheels in the future, I'd recommend getting the 1 hp Rikon grinder. I have the 1/2 hp model and I give mine a spin by hand when I start it up. When the magic smoke eventually escapes mine, I'll be upgrading to the 1 hp model.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    The CBN wheels are a lot heavier that the standard grinding stone. If you plan on going with CBN wheels in the future, I'd recommend getting the 1 hp Rikon grinder. I have the 1/2 hp model and I give mine a spin by hand when I start it up. When the magic smoke eventually escapes mine, I'll be upgrading to the 1 hp model.
    Robert, you may want to look at replacing the capacitor on your 1/2 hp Rikon. My grinder took a little while to get up to speed and when I would spin the wheel by hand it would help but still look longer than it used to when new. When I replaced the capacitor ( 5 min. job) it works like new and only takes about 2-3 sec to get up to speed.

I've been using the 1/2 hp Woodcraft grinder with D-Way CBN wheels for well over five or six years now with absolutely no problems. Does it take a little longer to start up? yeah, but I'm not in a particular hurry. I'll look into a new startup capacitor - that sounds like it could speed up startup times...
    I've been planning to get another grinder for AO wheels and have been toying with the idea of going with the 1 hp since it will be the last one I buy and the cost differential is not that great.

I had to replace the capacitor right after I put a big CBN wheel on it. My grinder is one of the no name dual speed grinders that Woodcraft use to sell. I bought it used real cheap so I can't really complain. It did come with a Wolverine jig and a cast iron pedistal stand. It'll start by itself now but I still give it a spin before I flip the power switch.

Pete, I got the 180 grit 4 in 1 wheel and a 600 grit Mega 8" CBN. Love this combination.

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Pete, I got the 180 grit 4 in 1 wheel and a 600 grit Mega 8" CBN. Love this combination.
    i agree with Steve, both as to his grinder and combo, and with his purchase from Ken Rizza. Great guy to do business with. My old Woodcraft grinder now has AO wheels on it and is used for all the various carbon steel tasks that come up - gardening tools, etc.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks guys. I ordered the 1/2 hp Rikon model 80-805 Slow Speed Grinder while it is on sale at Woodcraft. I don't think the 1/2 hp will be a problem since I am in no big hurry when sharpening/turning. I'll probably order some CBN wheels from Ken Rizzo once I settle on what I want. In the mean time I'll get acquainted with the grinder using the supplied white aluminum oxide 120-grit and 60-grit wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    I don't think the 1/2 hp will be a problem since I am in no big hurry when sharpening/turning.
    Pete, having a slightly under powered grinder doesn't have to slow you down much if at all. I have a less than 1 HP grinder that takes a few seconds to come up to speed. When it's time to sharpen, the first thing I do when I get to the grinder is to turn it on. Then I attach the Wolverine jig to whatever gouge I'm sharpening. By the time the jig is in place, the grinder is up to speed and ready to use, no waiting required.

Well, as I have said before, and will say again, I prefer over built to under built. I want some thing that I can't wear out. I have 2 of the 1 hp Rikon, and 2 3/4 hp Baldor grinders. Both come up to full speed with the steel CBN wheels from D Way in the same amount of time, 3 seconds, +/-. As a former production turner, during a day of turning, the 5 or so second time difference can add up. You can buy 3 or more of the 1 hp Rikon for what you would pay for the Baldor. The Baldor is considerably higher over all quality, and the Rikon is a good grinder for the price.

robo hippy

The 1/2 hp Rikon will work fine with 2 aluminum CBN wheels such as Rizza sells. Some people report slow startup with heavier steel wheels. I have both the 1/2 and 1 hp Rikons and some other grinders.

I've bought several types of CBN wheels and gave some away. Now I always buy the wheels without the rounded edges, useful for a specific type of sharpening which I don't do. I buy the wheels with 90-deg corners instead of radii and with 1"of flat grit down each side. I use the corner often to make and sharpen special tools, such as this recess and dovetail cutter.

Dovetail_B.jpg

JKJ