Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop lux readings before and after new LED tubes were installed.

Workshop lux readings before and after new LED tubes were installed.

The 4 foot 2 tube florescent fixtures originally had Sylvania cool white deluxe 40 watt F40 E7D3 tubes. Replaced them all with Satco s29907 17 watt 2200 lumen LED tubes. Removing the transformer from the first fixture and rewiring the fixture for direct power LED tubes took me maybe 20 minutes, but after that I was able to rewire a fixture in 5-10 minutes. Pretty simple procedure really. The fixtures and bulbs were original from early 1998, some of the bulbs were starting to flicker and all had black rings on the ends to varying degrees.

I installed a Lux meter app on my phone and took before and after Lux readings. As detailed in the table below the increase in lighting was dramatic; roughly 3-4 times increase in light - reminds me of when the florescent fixtures were brand new. Lots more light while using 57.5 percent less electricity.

Location Before After
    Workbench 172 666
    Work counter/desk (dedicated fixture) 366 952
    Table saw extension 212 832
    Band-saw 79 400
    Drill-press (in corner) 93 347
    Planer 155 677
    Table saw (original F40 tube was flickering) 117 767

Blog Entries
    I cannot think of when I complained about too much light in the shop. Congrats on the dramatic improvement.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just curious how many tubes you replaced and approximately how much they cost where you're at. Up north here in Canada, they're still very expensive.

Did you have to remove the ballasts (transformers), or could they be rewired with the ballasts remaining in place? (I'd prefer not to have to deal with the disposal aspect once they're removed ...... more $$)

I find that the fluorescent tubes actually give off a decent amount of heat (when using enough of them) which is sometimes a good thing in a cold climate. Then again, I find fluorescent tubes don't work all that well when subjected to very cold temperatures, such as in an unheated garage.

I wonder if LED tubes are available to replace 8' T12 tubes....

If the price continues to come down, LED tubes will definitely be used in the 40+ fixtures in my shop. Electric rates increased 14% here this fall....

Blog Entries
    Thanks for taking the time to measure the levels & post them. Upgrading poor lighting is one of the most satisfying shop upgrades. I have several places in my house that had fluorescent lighting that have been upgraded to LED tubes. I was astounded at the improvement. My shop is still fluorescent, because it's got 97 CRI lamps & the lighting levels are very good. It ain't broke, so I'm not gonna fix it.

Wow, those are bright, I just replaced my fluorescents with LEDs (see link below) in my 2 car garage shop. I got six units for $84, they have gone up to $99 Cnd. I didn't measure before but I'm getting 250 to 550 Lux. Interesting the areas with the lower readings don't seem much different from the higher reading areas. These are integrated units not replacement tubes. I've been told (by Rod Sheridan a member on this and another forum) that you can't legally bypass the ballast in Canada without having the fixture inspected which was part of the reason I went that route.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moving from the old T12 fluorescents to the LEDs I have now was like going from a dark closet to a sunny beach. I have more lamps and they are also brighter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Monroe View Post
    I installed a Lux meter app on my phone and took before and after Lux readings. As detailed in the table below the increase in lighting was dramatic; roughly 3-4 times increase in light - reminds me of when the florescent fixtures were brand new. Lots more light while using 57.5 percent less electricity.
    I just recently hung a couple 4' 2 row LED 5K fixtures in my bench area. The improvement is incredible. I was going to do the same as you, load an app and take before and after readings, but I haven't done it yet. I also hung a single fixture right over my table saw. Again, the improvement was incredible. This was a test run to understand how many fixtures I need for the rest of the shop.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 02-01-2020 at 9:55 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Did the same in my shop, albeit with Hyperikon LED bulbs, and installed a bunch of new fixtures. Couldn't be happier.

I went with 4100K, CRI 90+ instead of 5000K which it looks like you chose. I always felt that looked better to my eye in a workshop. But what looks best to you in your shop is the only important thing, of course.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Monroe View Post
    I installed a Lux meter app on my phone and took before and after Lux readings.
    It's always interesting to me how people find new ways to use their "tools". It would never have occurred to me to go get a new phone app to measure that improvement. That's brilliant (pun intended)!

I didnt measure it, but I saw a dramatic improvement last year when I converted to LED. Like Glenn said, it's hard to complain about adding more light. Congratulations, and thanks for the tip on that app.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Curious, what App did you use?

I replaced my fluorescent with these from Amazon.ca
    You can flush or hang mount them and linkable. Very happy with them. Installed 9 in a 24x22 shop with 9ft ceilings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Gabor View Post
    Just curious how many tubes you replaced and approximately how much they cost where you're at. Up north here in Canada, they're still very expensive.

Did you have to remove the ballasts (transformers), or could they be rewired with the ballasts remaining in place? (I'd prefer not to have to deal with the disposal aspect once they're removed ...... more $$)

I find that the fluorescent tubes actually give off a decent amount of heat (when using enough of them) which is sometimes a good thing in a cold climate. Then again, I find fluorescent tubes don't work all that well when subjected to very cold temperatures, such as in an unheated garage.

I wonder if LED tubes are available to replace 8' T12 tubes....

If the price continues to come down, LED tubes will definitely be used in the 40+ fixtures in my shop. Electric rates increased 14% here this fall....

I did sort of the same thing in our dog room. The room is 16 x 24, and has 4 4-tube 4' troffers that did have T12's in them. I ordered replacement ballasts, tombstones, and LED tubes. After I redid the first one, I turned it on to see if it worked. It did.

I didn't have a LUX meter, but my Wife came in and said that one light was now enough for the whole room. Now we have a lot of spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I did sort of the same thing in our dog room. The room is 16 x 24, and has 4 4-tube 4' troffers that did have T12's in them. I ordered replacement ballasts, tombstones, and LED tubes. After I redid the first one, I turned it on to see if it worked. It did.

I didn't have a LUX meter, but my Wife came in and said that one light was now enough for the whole room. Now we have a lot of spare parts.
    Curious why you replaced the ballasts if you were converting to LEDs? Why not just get the LEDs that don't require a ballast? I assume your existing ballasts were the old magnetic type which are not compatible with LEDs.

I think that was before they came out with the tubes that didn't require ballasts. The old ballasts had quit working anyway. I can't remember how long ago it was that I did that replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Gabor View Post

Did you have to remove the ballasts (transformers), or could they be rewired with the ballasts remaining in place? I wonder if LED tubes are available to replace 8' T12 tubes....

Curious, what App did you use?

30 tubes at $8.76 each with free shipping. I removed the ballasts and gave them to a friend that still uses a bunch of 8 foot florescent fixtures in his shop. I could have left the ballasts in the fixtures, but it was easy enough to remove them. They make 8 foot LED tubes.

App name is "Lux Light Meter". I downloaded it from the Google Play Store.