Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leftovers

Second mortise was done..
    Leftovers, 2 mortises done.JPG
    And fits well enough that no glue was needed....
    Leftovers, one side done.JPG
    Was even able to start this up on the table's top...( white-out is to cover up the bottles of Laundry soap over on the washer...)

Plans for today, since the weather outside is crappy..
    IMG_0522.JPG
    Add another inch or two....I think I'll first sharpen that mortise chisel up right....maybe the other 4 mortises will go quicker? Then figure out how to do the drawer's support system...and the drawer itself.....

Maybe after Lunch has settled in....I can wander down to the shop.....might even get something done?

Stay tuned

2 chisels were sharpened,
    Leftovers, stropped.JPG
    4 more mortises were chopped...
    Leftovers, mortise 3.JPG
    Like this one...decided which will be the front ..
    Leftovers, front legs.JPG
    So I wouldn't mortise for the back in the wrong legs...
    Leftovers, back fitted...JPG
    Then made a dry fit, including the drawer front...
    Leftovers, full dry fit.JPG
    Before calling it a day...2 hours was long enough, for a Friday..

webframe to support a drawer, is next...and then build a drawer...

Stay tuned...

It's bad, when one not only just sits around, thinking about something in the woodshop....but, when the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up does come up with a "plan" at 3am....and you rush down to the shop, to put the plan into action.....saws, planes....might even get a glue up, later today? Scary, ain't it?

Maybe after Lunch, I can do a bit of assembly, as Norm would say. Have a couple more parts to make...this time, I'll take the camera along...

Corner braces were cut on the Stanley #358 Mitre Box....
    Leftovers, miter cutter.JPG
    Drawer was divided into 3 parts..
    Leftovers, bead, bolt holes.JPG
    With a bead along the bottom edge...Drawer runners were notched to fit around the legs...and then glued in place..
    Leftovers, drawer runner glued on.JPG
    Legs were then glued to this assembly...
    Leftovers, side 2 inside view.JPGLeftovers, side one glued up, outside view.JPG
    Then let these two sit about 6 hrs...
    Leftovers, waiting on the glue.JPG
    Finished up the corner braces, needed pilot holes drilled..
    Leftovers, corner blocks drilled.JPG
    Dressed up a few edges on the drawer parts...
    Leftovers, dressed the edges.JPG
    be a bit hard to do, once this thing is fully assembled...

Stay tuned...

Lets see,,,been over 6 hours....need to get everything off my tablesaw , and move it out to give me a bit of room. Placed the table's top, good side down on the tablesaw ( yes, blade was lowered all the way down) Then move a few clamps around....until the back apron could be glued in place, and clamped up....then add the drawer fronts lower rail...more clamps..
    Leftovers, back glued on.JPG
    Including a long one, to pull the diagonals even ( 23-1/4", both ways)....cussing was started.. when it came time to move/ flip/ rotate to work on the top of the base...
    Leftovers, corner braces installed.JPG
    getting the drawer's top rail to match the lower rail..PITA. , added a couple extra clamps to hold things still long enough to get all the screws installed...Going to let this sit, overnight...finish a few things, like adding a kicker, before this is attached to the top...THEN, see about making a drawer?
    Stay tuned..we gaining on it...I hope..

Steven,

It looks like it is definitely coming together. It seems like projects take a lot of prep and time, and then it seems like they come together fairly quickly. It is looking good.

Stew

4 hours IN the shop, today....way the weather was outside...
    Leftovers, weather report.JPG
    Snowing all afternoon, with gusty winds..tain't fit for man nor beasty, out there.....go hide out in the shop. This will take a few episodes...was a LONG day...
    First, hauled the last plank of Ash to the shop....set it aside for a bit. That forest of clamps needed to be removed...
    Leftovers, top attached, clamps gone.JPG
    Top was attached, despite breaking off a screw, or two ( even with wax on the threads ) A kicker was installed...
    Leftovers, drawer kicker installed.JPG
    Friction fit, spot of glue on the ends, and right in the middle....keeps a drawer from tipping down, when you pull it out a bit too far...those 2 screw holes in the bottom rail..now have a screw installed, since I forgot them last night...They need a plug made to cover the screw heads...
    Leftovers, plug cutter.JPG
    3/8" tapered plug cutter..sold by Veritas...got it when they first came out...snapped the plug out, drive it in the hole with a dab of glue..
    Leftovers, plug installed.JPG
    let these sit a while...have a plank to mill down....rough sized, was a bit too wide, too wavy, too much bark...got things close..
    Leftovers, drawer parts , milled.JPG
    Some more milling to get things as close to the right sizes, as I could....a back for the drawer, and a pair of sides....have to match up with the front of the drawer..
    Leftovers, front, sides and back.JPG
    The back will be sized a bit better...once the dados and grooves are done...

Part 2 is coming right up...have a drawer to build...even if I still need to BUY the plywood for the bottom of the drawer...
    Stay tuned

Roh-kay, Raggy...as Scooby-do would say....Dovetails? I tend to do pins first....
    Leftovers, pins first.JPG
    And then use them to mark out the tails...and cut on the waste sides of the lines, trying to leave the entire line...Bandsaw, because I can see the lines better, and add a few extra cuts, to help with the waste removal....
    Leftovers, good chisel.JPG
    Harbor Freight 1/4" chisel, reground to get into them tight corners....once the dovetails are done, time to get groovy..
    Leftovers, front grooved.JPG
    Front done first, to lay out the groove to land inbetween two pins...that way, the tail will cover the groove...
    Leftovers, Sides grooved.JPG
    Ok...need a dado, to house the back...mitre box to make 2 cuts...
    Leftovers, dado saw cuts.JPG
    Pop most of the wast out with a 3/4" ( metric size?) chisel...then the Router was used...took a while to set the depth on the fussy thing, but..
    Leftovers, dado clean up.JPG
    Checked for fit..
    Leftovers, checked for fit.JPG
    needed that plane to adjust the back to fit width wise. pilot holes?
    Leftovers, counter sinks.JPG
    And counter sinks...I attach backs in drawers with a few screws...The notched end of the drawer is a Starter Bevel...makes it easier to start a full drawer into it "home"...rather than bang around, looking for it.
    Dry fit? That will be in the next episode...stay tuned..

Ok, one more. the dry fit?
    Attachment 425634
    Even laid a square in there..
    Attachment 425635
    Went back and trimmed the plugs flush...
    Attachment 425636
    need a bit of plywood for the drawer bottom, and then a glue-up. Figure out a handle....may cut the top's corners a bit, get away from that sharp corner....cove, or round-over for the top's edges.

two drills?
    Attachment 425637
    Why change bits, when you can just change drill, and all...already set up and ready to go...
    That was the first time I have ever used that Stanley No. 71-1/2 Router Plane....fussy little critter...seemed to hold settings, though.

Drawer is only about 4-1/2" deep....won't hold much, might be a decent night stand?

Stay tuned, we be gaining on it...

Sooo...wtf is the story with this latest batch of photos.....SAME EXACT PHOTO SIZES as the ones before that post? Can't even edit things? Really? Let me know if or when YOU get it figured out....

Photos..will try this ONE LAST time...
    Leftovers, drawer dry fit.JPG
    Leftovers, dry fit square.JPG
    Leftovers, 2 drills.JPG
    Leftovers, what plug.JPG
    We'll see IF these are small enough...might need to put on your "Reader" glasses..

Just a tease...for now..
    Leftovers, after the wipe down.JPG
    Corners rounded, a round-over bit has been run, top sanded to 100 grit, stained, and then wiped down...
    Leftovers, 2 clamps.JPG
    Drawer has been assembled, and is in the clamps, waiting on glue to dry...

Was a busy Monday...now I need to decide on a handle for the drawer..
    Leftovers, more handle choices.JPG
    Have a few choices to look at...

Hmmmm... Dovetails for the drawer, will need cleaned up..
    Leftovers, dovetails glued up.JPG
    High Tech Radius Jig....
    Leftovers, corner jig.JPG
    Followed by a Vintage Saw...
    Leftovers, corner cutter.JPG
    Back of drawer sits in a dado, rather than rely on just glue to hold it there...
    Leftovers, new screws installed.JPG
    I also rely on screws. This Ash required pilot holes, and wax on the threads of screws...
    Leftovers, Pilot hole drill, new screws.JPG
    North Brothers Push Drill to make the pilot holes...
    Leftovers, test fitting the drawer.JPG
    Test fit to see how the drawer slides in....was a 1/16" too wide during an earlier dry fitting...trimmed the back a bit, sized the plywood to match.
    Leftovers, back 2 done, round-over ran, sanded.JPG
    All corners were radiused, Router round-over bit all the way around the top edge of the top, top sanded to 110 grit...

Waiting on the stain to fully dry, and my back to stop hruting when I try to walk..
    Leftovers, work holding, more to do.JPG
    Then this will be set on it's top, and I can work on the rest of this table, and get the drawer done.
    Stay tuned...

See if these are tiny enough photos..
    Leftovers, drawer fits, stained...JPG
    Drawer cleaned up, front stained...fits..
    Leftovers, cleaned dovetails, stained.JPG
    Someday, I might get good at these things..maybe..
    Leftovers, selected handle.JPG
    handle selected, and...
    Leftovers, handle installed, table stained.JPG
    Handle installed, rest of table has a wiped down coat of stain....waiting to dry enough to apply a top coat of varnish...tomorrow..
    Leftovers, PIP, awaiting varnish.JPG
    Not too bad, for just a stack of leftover boards?