Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a New Planer

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    The G1033 is the Helical head Taiwanese made planer. That is the one I purchased. The G0454Z is the Spiral head Chinese made planer. the G1033 uses a 15 x 15 x 2.5mm Indexable Carbide Insert. Byrd sells this 15 x 15 x 2.5mm Indexable Carbide Insert through Amazon. I see no reason not to use the Byrd inserts when it comes time to replace mine and save 2/3 of Grizzly's price. These heads are designed around a standard insert so there are likely other suppliers as well.
    Example: Global Tooling
    I'll get serious about shopping for replacements when the time comes. That's likely a couple years out in the future so there will likely be more price competition the more prevalent these cutters become.
    Yeah I can back this up too. The G1033X uses the same inserts Byrd uses, or at least the two are completely interchangeable, so no need to buy the more expensive ones. The Grizzly head also only has 4 spirals vs. 6 on the Byrd, so you'll spend less money on the Grizzly if you have to replace them all.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I have been considering getting a new planer. I have the DW735 right now - straight knives. Been looking at the Grizzly G1033X - it says it is a helical head where the G0454Z is spiral. Jet and PM are a bit above my price range unless I can find them on sale. I am in no rush, so I can wait it out. IIRC, Jet just had a 10% sale.

I plan to sell a rifle to help with the purchase - an inherited Browning BAR 7mm Mag semi auto. Way to much gun for me. My bolt action 7mm Mag is just right.
    Since you have narrowed it down to the Grizzly, I will give you my input without sounding biased.

First off, I have two very large woodworking shops (personal for enjoyment only). One at work (I have lots of space at Grizzly) and one at home. I have a 12" jointer and a 20" industrial planer at the home. At the shop at work I have an 8" jointer, a 20" jointer and a 20" planer. All of the above are Taiwanese machines with spiral cutterheads with the straight bladed inserts. Never have had to replace any inserts yet as you get four sides per insert.

Taking into consideration that I can have any machine in our line with any combination of cutterheads including the Byrd, plus the fact that I do highly precise work with very hard, dense and very figured woods, I say get the G1033X and call it good! You will be shocked at how good that machine is and how nice a finish you will get.

I saw my own lumber, and have a Byrd cutterhead on the jointer and Grizzly cutterhead on my planer, and can not tell the difference. The Byrd on the jointer requires quite a bit of force to push the board through. My lumber has lots of figure, even run into trees where the grain looks like tiger maple, except it is walnut. Just finished a chest of drawers, and all the drawer fronts have the stripes. Cool look.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    I say get the G1033X and call it good! You will be shocked at how good that machine is and how nice a finish you will get.
    I whole heartedly agree and its totally awesome that Shiraz Balolia endorses my own personal purchasing decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Yeah I can back this up too. The G1033X uses the same inserts Byrd uses, or at least the two are completely interchangeable, so no need to buy the more expensive ones. The Grizzly head also only has 4 spirals vs. 6 on the Byrd, so you'll spend less money on the Grizzly if you have to replace them all.
    The Grizzly head says 96 inserts while the Byrd is 100 so there shouldn't be much difference between the two heads. If the Byrd inserts will work on the 1033X then that would make replacement cost of the inserts a non-issue. Not having one I can't comment on if it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    The Grizzly head says 96 inserts while the Byrd is 100 so there shouldn't be much difference between the two heads. If the Byrd inserts will work on the 1033X then that would make replacement cost of the inserts a non-issue. Not having one I can't comment on if it's possible.
    Hmm that's odd. The Byrd head on my 20" Grizzly planer has 132 if I'm not mistaken. 6 rows x 22 inserts. Maybe Byrd changed the configuration recently. My head is probably late 2000's/early 2010's.

A bit surprised to hear that somebody with access to any sized machine is stopping at 20". OTOH, The Wood Whisperer "down"graded from a 20" to 15" planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Hmm that's odd. The Byrd head on my 20" Grizzly planer has 132 if I'm not mistaken. 6 rows x 22 inserts. Maybe Byrd changed the configuration recently. My head is probably late 2000's/early 2010's.
    I did some searching today and from the best I can tell, the current Byrd generic 20" four post planer cutterhead is 5 rows of 20 inserts for a total of 100 inserts.

The G1033 helical head appears to be 6 rows of 16 inserts from the best I can tell.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Dixon; 02-03-2020 at 5:49 PM.

Rich, did you make a decision?

I live close to the Bellingham Grizz showroom/warehouse and have six of their machines.(Thanks Pappa Grizz!!) I bought my 20" 5hp planer used and it is
    labeled 1033ZX but looks more like an early version of 454Z. It is a workhorse and is a great machine. I have looked at the different
    models of their 20"ers at the showroom and couldn't see any significant difference in the basic machines. I was considering an upgrade
    to the helical head 1033ZX but decided it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade in performance for my hobby needs.(I was going to buy new
    for me and "gift" the older planer to a friend). I haven't had any issues with highly figured stock but don't have a non-Grizzly helical cutterhead
    to compare to. Both machines would be good choices, just save a few $$$ with th 454Z

Alex, I did not make a decision yet. I am leaning towards the G1033Z and upgrading to the Shelix head because it spreads out the cost. Its easier to bite off in smaller pieces.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 02-04-2020 at 6:35 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I really appreciate the information everyone has provided. It will either be the G1033X or G1033Z with a helical head upgrade later. It really depends on what I can get for that rifle. It is nice to know the Byrd inserts will fit the G1033X head. As I just posted a reply to Alex, I am leaning towards splitting the spend by buying the G1033Z and upgrading the head later. That will be also influenced by my better half - she normally says just get it over with and get what you want to have in the end.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 02-04-2020 at 6:38 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Since you have narrowed it down to the Grizzly, I will give you my input without sounding biased.

First off, I have two very large woodworking shops (personal for enjoyment only). One at work (I have lots of space at Grizzly) and one at home. I have a 12" jointer and a 20" industrial planer at the home. At the shop at work I have an 8" jointer, a 20" jointer and a 20" planer. All of the above are Taiwanese machines with spiral cutterheads with the straight bladed inserts. Never have had to replace any inserts yet as you get four sides per insert.

Taking into consideration that I can have any machine in our line with any combination of cutterheads including the Byrd, plus the fact that I do highly precise work with very hard, dense and very figured woods, I say get the G1033X and call it good! You will be shocked at how good that machine is and how nice a finish you will get.

That's good to know and quite a statement for the planer with all of the choices you have available. I appreciate your input. I bought a Byrd head through Grizzly a few years ago for my 6" jointer and it sure gives a great surface finish.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    I live close to the Bellingham Grizz showroom/warehouse and have six of their machines.(Thanks Pappa Grizz!!) I bought my 20" 5hp planer used and it is
    labeled 1033ZX but looks more like an early version of 454Z. It is a workhorse and is a great machine. I have looked at the different
    models of their 20"ers at the showroom and couldn't see any significant difference in the basic machines. I was considering an upgrade
    to the helical head 1033ZX but decided it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade in performance for my hobby needs.(I was going to buy new
    for me and "gift" the older planer to a friend). I haven't had any issues with highly figured stock but don't have a non-Grizzly helical cutterhead
    to compare to. Both machines would be good choices, just save a few $$$ with th 454Z
    I would be broke if I lived close to any of the Grizzly stores.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I would be broke if I lived close to any of the Grizzly stores.
    I would be broke just building the shop for all the equipment I would like as I flip through their catalog. I usually remind myself there's not enough time in the day to use the stuff I would buy, lol.

For the last couple years I've been looking for a good used 20" planer (craig's list, facebook marketplace, auctions, etc.) and not much comes up. I did see a nice looking Powermatic 209 but it was in Florida which would of required buying sight unseen and then shipping. The shipping itself wouldn't be that big of a deal but prepping it correctly for shipping would be difficult.

So I'm in the same boat as you. A new Powermatic 209 with straight blades is on sale right now for $2700. The G1033Z is $650 cheaper. If I wait Grizzly will offer a 10% off coupon which will bring the G1033X down to the same price as the Powermatic and I don't see the Powermatic as being a better piece of equipment. The G1033X does have a few other improvements (maybe just changes) over the G1033Z. The motor seams to draw more current, the pedestal mounted control panel, and the locking knobs are replaced with a lever type device. Then there's the G0454Z for $350 less with a built in mobile base. Like you I'm not in a huge hurry but I'm sure this spring/ summer I make a decision.