Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prevent a miter gauge from moving in the slot

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    So I am thinking I can remove the miter gauge from the bar, put a shim of either aluminum or umhw (would be about 3/16) between the miter bar and the rest of the assembly, then re-install. I can use one of the existing knurled handles from my grizzly, tap a whole in the miter bar to receive it, and use it to lock the gauge in place. Am I nuts?
    I assume that you are talking about a new miter gauge and not the problematic Grizzly miter gauge/fence? I'm not really following what you are proposing. Perhaps a sketch of your proposed modifications/assembly would help clarify.
    David

How about something better, an adjustable angled fence that pivots near the blade. In simplest form, a piece of angle iron across the back of the sled (is that what you call the slidy thing?), pinned to the sled at the right end, so it just misses the blade when slid forward. At the left end a second pin drops into holes in the sled at every convenient angle.

Now a couple of upgrades,

a second pivot hole further forward so the left end can be angled back for the reverse angles

holes to hold a sacrificial fence across the blade

add movable end stops, maybe use strut instead of angle iron

add dust collection

add a scale and labels for the angles

devise a fine angle adjustment

add a protractor

add magnets to secure it to the sled

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    How about something better, an adjustable angled fence that pivots near the blade. ...
    That's how my Robland sliding attachment is made. I use it with a PM-66. There is a pivot post, a long "miter" gauge with a zero stop and clamp to hold the work. The cast iron table has no slot for a miter gauge. I haven't used the a miter gauge with the saw since I installed the slider.

I don't have a picture but the little picture in the manual shows it:

robland_miter2.jpg

JKJ

Have you considered building a crosscut sled that can do angles? Would that fix your issue?

I finally got a chance to unbox the miter gauge today and it is a finely engineered and machined instrument. I appreciate all the various suggestions, but at this point I am only looking to adapt the slider to use this miter gauge. I'm stubborn like that. I have attached some quick pictures. I can come back with more with some measurements. I was thinking I would just make a new miter bar that fits the slot on the slider. I even got some aluminum to use. But for reasons that are difficult to expaiin without better pictures this is going to be tricky without a mill. I am not entirely opposed to actually modifying the slider--routing out the aluminum on the top of the miter slot so the gauge can sit in it then securing it somehow. Is this nuts?

Or maybe it is back to the drawing board. But I really do like this miter gauge.

20200212_192321.jpg20200212_192334.jpg20200212_192347.jpg20200212_192400.jpg

Hi Gunter,
    Have you had a chance to check how repeatable the 90 degree positioning is when you remove and then reattach the gauge to your sliding attachment?
    David

Jessem Miter Gauge.jpg

OK - I misread your post (didn't read it thoroughly) and was under the impression that the Jessem Miter Gauge bar was narrow enough that it fit right into your slot in the sliding attachment. I see now that is not the case. You need a bar that is shaped like a T to slide into the slot. I have a milling machine. If you want to send me some of the aluminum bar stock and the dimensions of the mounting holes for the miter gauge, I will be happy to machine the aluminum bar to fit the slot and miter gauge at no cost to you (other than the return USPS postage). I have the same Grizzly sliding attachment, so I will be able to check the fit. I will send you a PM with my contact info.
    David

David, I really appreciate you offer. However, the thing I have run into is that there is what appears to be a sealed bearing within the miter bar.

I believe I have found a good solution. I modified the slider to enlarge the miter slot so I can drop the miter gauge in without modifying it. I am going to tap a hole in the slider to accept a 3/8-16 thread, which is the same thread as the handle in the Jessem gauge, then I can tighten the handle buy screwing it into the receiving hole, thus holding the miter gauge in place and keeping it flat against the table. Because the handle of the Jessem did not have a long enough screw I am going to drill and tap one of the handles from the grizzly gauge to accept a 3/8 threaded rod. The handles from the grizzly are better anyway. I'll post some pictures when I get it all put together. I hope to pick up the hardware I need today.

Gunter, why not machine some T-stock for that slot in your slider on a router table? Either hardwood, and epoxy in some threaded inserts, or phenolic (Garolite/Arboron) and tap directly into the material. I've had customer do this in the past.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Gunter, why not machine some T-stock for that slot in your slider on a router table? Either hardwood, and epoxy in some threaded inserts, or phenolic (Garolite/Arboron) and tap directly into the material. I've had customer do this in the past.

Erik
    Unless I am misunderstanding what you propose I'm not sure what I would gain by doing this. I would still need to attach it to the slider, which would require tapping more holes.

David, I really appreciate you offer. However, the thing I have run into is that there is what appears to be a sealed bearing within the miter bar.

I believe I have found a good solution. I modified the slider to enlarge the miter slot so I can drop the miter gauge in without modifying it. I am going to tap a hole in the slider to accept a 3/8-16 thread, which is the same thread as the handle in the Jessem gauge, then I can tighten the handle buy screwing it into the receiving hole, thus holding the miter gauge in place and keeping it flat against the table. Because the handle of the Jessem did not have a long enough screw I am going to drill and tap one of the handles from the grizzly gauge to accept a 3/8 threaded rod. The handles from the grizzly are better anyway. I'll post some pictures when I get it all put together. I hope to pick up the hardware I need today.
    It won't be a problem to install a sealed bearing into the new aluminum miter bar (I run a full machine shop here). I would imagine a replacement bearing is available directly from Jessem, or it may be a standard size readily available from a bearing supplier (or online). The stock miter bar is still too short for the slider slot (according to your photo) and would require spacers to raise it up to table level. Removing and disassembling your slider to take to a machine shop to have the slot machined out may be a real hassle and expensive. I would also install 1/4" holes at each end of the miter bar with matching holes in the bottom of the slot for repeatable registration, and a bolt as you have suggested to lock it down. The 1/4" holes will use removable dowel pins. You can send me some photos of the top of your miter bar with the gauge removed to verify the bearing and fastener locations.
    David

Unless I am misunderstanding what you propose I'm not sure what I would gain by doing this. I would still need to attach it to the slider, which would require tapping more holes.
    No need to tap the table. The mitre gauge sucks down to the gib bar (which you would fabricate) by screwing force. Just like an eccentric clamp setup. This works because you have a T-shaped slot rather than a U-shaped slot. The idea being that you can slide the mitre fence setup anywhere up and down length of the sliding table as needed. Does this make sense?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    No need to tap the table. The mitre gauge sucks down to the gib bar (which you would fabricate) by screwing force. Just like an eccentric clamp setup. This works because you have a T-shaped slot rather than a U-shaped slot. The idea being that you can slide the mitre fence setup anywhere up and down length of the sliding table as needed. Does this make sense?

Erik

Yes Erik - that makes perfect sense to me!
    David

Everyone, thank you for the ideas and kind offers of help. I believe I have found a solution. It is somewhat crude, but it works well and I think I am fairly satisfied with it for now,

I removed the handle from the grizzly miter gauge and tapped it to receive a threaded rod, then tapped a corresponding hole in the bottom of the miter track on the slider. I ended up having to drill out the tapped hole in the Jessem gauge since something was not quite right in the geometry. I expanded the miter slow with a plunge router so that I can drop the miter gauge in it, then I tighten it down with the handle. With a little adjusting it sits flat and cuts perfect 90s. Once I got the adjusting done I was able to remove it, re-attach it, and change the miter angle without losing the 90. The Jessem gauge has a clever stop pin to return the fence to "zero" in order to utilize the ruler on it, but since I moved the gauge further from the blade I can't use it. In future I may try to drill some holes to make this work for me because I think it is a nice feature.

20200216_082910.jpg