Thread: Moxon long ACME rods?

Moxon long ACME rods?

I built a BenchCrafted Moxon vise, using their 8" ACME threaded rods. I would like to replace the rods with 10" at least occasionally, except that I cannot find 3/4" 10" ACME threaded rods. BenchCrafted sold them at one point, but discontinued them. Nowhere do I find such a thing. Does anyone have a lead on who might? Google has been unproductive so far.

2. Try mcmaster-carr, they have lots of 3/4" ACME thread, just depends on what pitch you need.

If all you need are 10" long acme threaded rods, 3/4-6, McMaster sells them up to 10 feet long. 12" pieces are 7 bucks.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Why do you say 3/4-6? I'm not arguing, my thread-finder only has 3/4-10 and 3/4-16, and the correct thread for the wheels is neither of those.

Thanks, by the way. I found their rods, just want to confirm thread size.

Quote Originally Posted by John Makar View Post
    Why do you say 3/4-6? I'm not arguing, my thread-finder only has 3/4-10 and 3/4-16, and the correct thread for the wheels is neither of those.
    3/4-10 and 3/4-16 are coarse and fine for 60* v-shaped threads. Acme threads have a different pitch.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Well 3/4-6 is the most common acme thread pitch for 3/4 rod. I think 3/4-8 might also be available, but is less common. You will have to measure your rod to see what it is. Just count number of threads in an inch.

www.surpluscenter.com has 3/4-6 amce rod 3 fooot length rods for $15.80 and nuts for$4.95. Good luck

Blog Entries
    No thread gauge needed, put your scale along the threads and count how many threads there are per inch.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My read is 3/4-8

Zoro is also a good source for metal stuff like this. It will be cheaper to replace the nuts and switch to a standard size acme rod rather then have a custom thread made.
    Bill D.
    https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-acme-screw-low-carbon-steel-0750x36-24304/i/G1456664/

I was wrong 3/4 8 is a standard in acme.

https://www.roton.com/product/acme-s...w-right-59433/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-01-2020 at 1:37 PM.

So 12" 3/4-8 acme rods are $4.50 at Mcmaster. They have longer too.

Yeah, search on 3/4-8 gets lots of interesting sources. The question becomes how to stay sane. At some point the extra length has to create enough leverage to start messing with the fixed chop. But it is sort of cool I could fit a 6' wide plank in my vise if I wanted to.