Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New scam?

We buy via Am Prime quite often... The few times I had problem or needed to return they were easy to reach and very helpful in solving the problem.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

I've had a few messages left on my phone saying it's my credit card company and they wanted to verify a $300 purchase on ebay using my card....I just ignore them and that charge has never been put on my card....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I've had a few messages left on my phone saying it's my credit card company and they wanted to verify a $300 purchase on ebay using my card....I just ignore them and that charge has never been put on my card....
    I get a call about once a year from my credit card company. Someone has been fraudulently using my card and they need to cancel it and reissue a new one. PITA, but what can you do? I got a second card to use for the 3 days it takes to get my new card.

I've called Amazon a few time. Or more specifically requested a call from a rep. They have always called me within 10 minutes.

Last time was about a Laptop I purchased. I needed it before the weekend because I was going away and my current laptop was dead. It was guaranteed delivery by Friday.
    Well unfortunately it didn't ship as soon as it was suppose to and I wasn't going to get it til Saturday. I called to find out what happen, if the online information was wrong, and find out why it was late.
    Of course they couldn't resolve the problem but as a token of how sorry they were they refunded me money from a previous purchase I had made 5 months before. Why they did it this way I have NO idea but they refunded me the complete cost of the $358 helmet I purchased 5 months before purchasing the laptop.

So YES you can talk to Amazon and they are extremely helpful.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Nothing new on my amazon account. I figured it was probably a scam, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

They called on my home phone, which would never be given to Amazon anyway. Today was a busy day for that phone, with over 10 robocalls coming in. I only answered that one because I was right next to the phone, usually just take messages on it.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-01-2020 at 1:44 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Nothing new on my amazon account. I figured it was probably a scam, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

They called on my home phone, which would never be given to Amazon anyway. Today was a busy day for that phone, with over 10 robocalls coming in. I only answered that one because I was right next to the phone, usually just take messages on it.
    I miss all the robo calls and spam calls. They are extremely rare now on my cell phone but don't know about the house phone since we never answer it.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Funny thing last night while watching TV a call came in. My usual practice when such a call comes through with an unrecognized number is to answer with the speaker phone option. A robo voice started telling us there was a charge on our Amazon account for an iPhone to be shipped some place in Ohio with a number to call.

Of course we hung up and Candy was told about the scam. She picked up her iPad and touched a few icons. She proclaimed, "no new orders shown." We went back to watching our program.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Funny thing last night while watching TV a call came in. My usual practice when such a call comes through with an unrecognized number is to answer with the speaker phone option. A robo voice started telling us there was a charge on our Amazon account for an iPhone to be shipped some place in Ohio with a number to call.

Of course we hung up and Candy was told about the scam. She picked up her iPad and touched a few icons. She proclaimed, "no new orders shown." We went back to watching our program.

jtk
    I'm sure if you called the number, gave them your account ID and password, they'd remove the I-phone from your account.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I'm sure if you called the number, gave them your account ID and password, they'd remove the I-phone from your account.
    ... and keep your charge card on the account.

It must have been a mistake, Jim. They told me it was me that had a phone sent to Ohio.

PS: Nice to hear I wasn't the only one supporting Ohioans. I was raised in the Cleveland area.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-01-2020 at 3:56 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    ... and keep your charge card on the account.
    I took that as a given!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    If you talk to an actual amazon employee on the phone you would be the very first. I swear the world’s largest online retailer does not have a customer service department much less a phone. Everything is communicated via automatic response.
    I've never tried to get them via phone, but you can under some circumstances reach a human through their chat-based customer support. It starts out with a bot, but it often goes to a person.

Their bot-based customer service does some crazy stuff. Convince the bot that you didn't get a complete order, and it will re-ship the parts of the order you didn't get. But it's not very smart about figuring that out. I ordered 30 cabinet knobs, and received 28. Chatted up their customer service bot, and told it I was short 2 in the order. "Sorry about that. I can have the missing items shipped to you." Well, the order had been filled in two separate stock pulls - one for 10 knobs and one for 20. So the bot sent me 2 more of the 10 item stock pull, or 20 additional knobs.

The honest citizen in me wanted to return the extras knobs, but I'd had a previous go-round with Amazon customer service in which in order to make me whole on Sa tarrett combination square component I'd ordered, I eventually had to return two parcels, and still ended up with an extra Starrett combination square blade I'd never ordered.

So, I kept the knobs.

I learned many of the trailer scams on ebay use photos of new trailers with no license plates. They also remove the plates on any cars/trucks in the picture. This makes it harder to trace the scammer or even figure out what state the picture originally came from. They do not seem to like pictures with deep snow because potential suckers might not belive the seller is really in Texas or Southern California like they claim.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-01-2020 at 8:04 PM.