Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New scam?

New scam?

Just got a phone call from Amazon, notifying me that someone from a different location just bought an I- Phone on my account. I am to call a phone number if I care to dispute it.

I did not catch the phone number, but I assume it is a scam, and they will probably ask me for my account number if I call. My Amazon account is linked to a credit card, and that should be who is notifying me.

Is this a new scam, or am I wrong? Maybe just new to me.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Probably a scam, but I think I'd log into my Amazon account and see if there are any outstanding orders you don't recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Just got a phone call from Amazon, notifying me that someone from a different location just bought an I- Phone on my account. I am to call a phone number if I care to dispute it.

I did not catch the phone number, but I assume it is a scam, and they will probably ask me for my account number if I call. My Amazon account is linked to a credit card, and that should be who is notifying me.

Is this a new scam, or am I wrong? Maybe just new to me.
    To me it sounds like a scam.

I would log onto Amazon and see if there are any notices. See if an I-fone has been ordered. If so, cancel the order, and dispute the order with Amazon and if necessary, with the CC company.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Another vote for doing your checking now, not later.

Check Amazon. Check your bank account.

These scams change daily.

Don't go with the robot that is calling you. Call the source.

Wow! What a coincidence? While typing this a scam call came in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If it were real, why would they call you? I don't even think Amazon has our phone numbers.

Id call amazon.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you talk to an actual amazon employee on the phone you would be the very first. I swear the world’s largest online retailer does not have a customer service department much less a phone. Everything is communicated via automatic response.

I've talked to Amazon CS. They were very helpful in replacing a DOA laptop that I needed immediately. Definitely top tier phone support.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Don't know how many of you have ever heard of the 'call-back' scam? "They" call you, and your phone only rings once, so out of curiosity you call back- when you do, you're actually calling an international toll number, and the charges show up on your next phone bill, with most of the money going in the scammers pocket...

NEVER call back or call a number in these types of emails...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I agree it is probably a scam. Why would you think your credit card company would notify you? For those who suggest calling Amazon I suggest you do the OP a favor and post the Amazon Customer Service number. I have the Amazon.ca number, I got it from a third party as I could never find it on the Amazon.ca site, I just looked for the US number and finding it is a challenge (I didn't have the patience to find it). Looking up your orders on the site is straightforward and if it hasn't shipped you should be able to cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    If you talk to an actual amazon employee on the phone you would be the very first. I swear the world’s largest online retailer does not have a customer service department much less a phone. Everything is communicated via automatic response.
    I had an issue with a return, that got processed (actually not) thru the usual automated system, and the "chat system" forked to a call-back from them, where I actually got to talk to an amazon employee (probably a harried contractor) and the matter was resolved very well. No accent or mispronunciations of my name either, which left a good impression.

I got a call on the answering machine a few days ago. Someone said that I had recieved a charge of 79.80 to my Amazon account and to call the number they left if I did not make the purchase.
    I called the number and heard the foriegn voices in the background in a large room, and the guy who answered the phone said he was a Visa employee.
    I hung up and called my credit card company and there was no sch charge to my account.
    The callers were fishing for personal information from me, the lady from Visa told me.
    And there was no purchase for 79.80 on my Amazon account.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    I've talked to Amazon CS. They were very helpful in replacing a DOA laptop that I needed immediately. Definitely top tier phone support.
    I also have talked to Amazon on the phone, but some years ago. They were very helpful and fixed the problem immediately.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Don't know how many of you have ever heard of the 'call-back' scam? "They" call you, and your phone only rings once, so out of curiosity you call back- when you do, you're actually calling an international toll number, and the charges show up on your next phone bill, with most of the money going in the scammers pocket...

NEVER call back or call a number in these types of emails...
    Agreed. I never do the call back thing unless I know who it is & I'm expecting a call from them, but just can't answer at the moment. If it's legit & important, the caller will leave a voicemail.