Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which CNC

Ron, it would be very unusual for you to have to get into writing G-code with most of the quality CNC machines available today. The CAM software does all the code for you. Where folks do dive into G-Code is most often in production situations where they want to further streamline something with a macro, to say, make something repeatable without restarting a file, or to change a specific behavior of the machine in a particular situation. I've had my CNC machine since April 2018. I've not written a single line of G-Code in that time period. I've modified a configuration file a couple of times to customize my machine setup and while those files have g-code in them, I was merely changing, adding or subtracting a setup parameter. My Vectric software "writes" all the g-code for every job I run. I just draw pretty pictures, tell what tools I want to use for each required cutting operation along with cutting parameters (all mouse clicks and numbers for measurements), run the toolpaths virtually in the software until I'm happy with the expected end result and then ask the software to write out the cutting file(s). I have learned a very small number of g-code commands that I occasionally use to move the spindle to a particular point, but most often I just use the arrows on my screen or remote keypad to do that visually. "Normal Humans" can do this...no major programming required!

That said, I'm not discouraging you from learning more about g-code. I'm just saying "knowing it" isn't a requirement to successfully and enjoyably use a CNC machine.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-17-2020 at 9:29 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ron, If your looking to see a Camaster in action I have a stinger III with a recoil lathe. Kind of a long cruse for you to see it but if your ever in southeast Wisconsin give us a shout . I can make it to St Louis in a little over 5 hours. Might be a nice saturday trip . I cut with it daily. Email me directly if you have any other cnc questions or just want to chat. nelsonwoodcrafters@yahoo.com Dan and Bridget Nelson

Ron, I noted your question on Camheads about the Map. There are four Camaster owners showing on the map in your area....click on the map pins to see who they are. You should be able to connect them to their Camheads user name and send PM or check their signatures for contact information.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...2319051292&z=9
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-17-2020 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify my answer's source question.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    I don't know about any one else, but some of those you tube videos can put me right to sleep. Staring at a computer too long has a tendency to do that, unless I am actively doing something on the magic box. I haven't messed with computer languages since the days of Fortran and Pascal, Cobol. Many moons ago. Any recommendations on good books on G code, etc? It will give me something to read at the Fire House in the evenings.
    Hi Ron,
    As Jim has pointed out, most folks just run the g-code files output from Aspire, VCarve Pro, and so on. But I will have to say that a rudimentary knowledge of the G-code and M-code can be very helpful when trouble shooting a particular program to find out exactly why it isn't doing as expected. I'm not saying I that I know all the G-codes by heart, but I do know the basics and know where to look when I need further explanation of some of the G-code.
    David

Thanks, everyone. The G/M codes are something I would want to better understand for my sake, if nothing else.
    That being said....once upon a time, way back in college days, I was writing a program in Pascal ( I think ), when the admin. of the main frame computer came out and notified me I had written a program with a loop. She had to shut down the computer to stop it. Major OPPPS!. And that's what happens when you do things at 3 am. Anyway, I am in no hurry at this point. Definitely going to have to stay around a 2 x 3 or smaller.

Here is a dumb question. Cost difference of a servo motor vs a stepper. I haven't been able to find an answer to that one. One of those curiosity questions.