Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which CNC

Thanks Jim. Looks like that snake could have bit me ten times over. Looked right over it. I actually spec.ed out the machine with the 1.7kw spindle and performance plus package as well as a stand. The gantry question was floating around since it is only a couple hundred more. The spindle is what really kicked the cost up. Anybody use the remote hand held keypad?

Yeah, the spindle is a little expensive but they aren't Chinese spindles. I got the email on the promotion and it is $300 off a Stinger 1 spindle upgrade. Many will use a bluetooth keyboard or Xbox controller . You can also put casters on the bottom of the stand and move pull it out to use.

I have the KRS USB keypad. It’s not as capable as the WinCNC pad, or as expensive, but very useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use that same remote with my Stinger II, Bruce. It's a relatively inexpensive solution and provides most functions required while standing at the machine. The only downside is that the WinCNC window in Windows on the computer must be "in focus" (on top) for the remote to work just as it must be if you are using the rodent and keyboard. That's an OS limitation, AFAIK, for a USB device like this. Mostly, that's just an annoyance, but occasionally, if the Vectric software is "in focus", something can get nudged, etc., because some keys are like using the PC keyboard for shortcuts, etc.
    -------

Bobby, you're correct...the spindles that Camaster fits to their machines are Italian made HSD spindles. These are one of the very few components/materials that are not USA-made on Camaster machines. There are unfortunately a few things that just don't get manufactured in the US.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-06-2020 at 9:42 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yet another quick question. Is a person better off buying the bits as they are needed or is the 10 pcs. set offered by CAMaster a good deal? Curious.

Ron, I did buy the little set just to get started and they are very nice quality tooling. That does get you learning and exploring quickly. Beyond that, I learned what I used the most and acquired additional tooling to suit so I always have multiples of most cutters that get the work done. I also invested in insert cutters for V-bits and some other things because they offer long term benefits for "always being sharp" as well as not needing to have multiples for expensive things.
    --

Generally speaking, if you are unsure of what you will need then usually you are better off buying them seperately because usually in a set there will be bits that you will never use. I can snap a 1/4" bit like a toothpick if I make a mistake and I've made several of them. It kind of sucks to spend $25-60 and break it before you ever use it once. Buy some cheap bits either at Harbor freight or off of Amazon/ebay to practice with. The cheap ones actually cut pretty good and are so much easier on the pocketbook to replace for mistakes. You'll get an idea of what bits you will need and then buy the better bits. I bought an Amana set and still have half the bits that I have never used but I know I will eventually use them once I start working on different material.

Here we go again. Does the 1.7kw spindle run on 220v? I have 220 available so that's not a problem.
    Next, does the 1kw spindle use the same bracket as the 1.7kw or even the 3.0 kw? What about the wiring. Other than 110 vs 220 is the rest of the wiring the same. In other words, if I initially went with the smaller 1.0kw during the learning phase to keep the initial cost down, how difficult is it to jump up to the 3.0 kw spindle if I were to go out and buy one and keep it to the side? Silly question, perhaps?

I didn’t buy the set. I bought a few ¼” endmills and a few Vbits, 60* & 90*. I generally find better pricing on Amazon. White Side and Freud are my go to cutters.

The 1.7kw spindle runs on 220 through the VFD.

Contact Camaster on the spindle mounts and 1kw wiring. I don’t think the mounts are one size fits all.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Here we go again. Does the 1.7kw spindle run on 220v? I have 220 available so that's not a problem.
    Next, does the 1kw spindle use the same bracket as the 1.7kw or even the 3.0 kw? What about the wiring. Other than 110 vs 220 is the rest of the wiring the same. In other words, if I initially went with the smaller 1.0kw during the learning phase to keep the initial cost down, how difficult is it to jump up to the 3.0 kw spindle if I were to go out and buy one and keep it to the side? Silly question, perhaps?
    If you buy a large enough VFD to support a 3kW, you could start with a smaller spindle. However, the mounting is likely different between the sizes. On top of that the different sized spindles likely use different size collets (you could use the same endmills, but the parts that hold them are likely not interchangeable). I did a very cursory eBay search and I'm seeing at least one 1.5kW for $125 and one 4kW for $235. If you can afford the $110 difference and your machine allows it, I'd go for the larger spindle. Do keep in mind a larger VFD will costs a bit more ($70 more?), but I'm assuming you were going to buy it regardless so you could upgrade spindles down the road.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Here we go again. Does the 1.7kw spindle run on 220v?
    Yes, 240v, four wire, 30a circuit.

I can't answer the question authoritatively on the spindle bracket, the vertical bracket on the Z-axis may or may not change with the spindle options. Since the 1.0kw spindle is a "different animal", if you have any thought that you'll want more spindle, I'll suggest you buy it now. It's not just about money; it's about "pain in the backside" factors including the voltage differences. The 1.0kw option designed for 120v operation (there are two 1.0kw spindles available) would likely require a lot of effort to upgrade. I don't know that I'd do the 3kw option on a Stinger I, honestly. The 1.7kw is kick-butt already (I have that on my Stinger II SR-44 and it performs incredibly well). The extra weight of the 3.0kw unit combined with the inability to achieve higher travel speeds on a small machine don't really justify the extra cost, IMHO. But that's just an opinion.

My advice is to configure your machine with the things that are either unchangeable or hard to change later when you buy it. The combination of the 1.7kw spindle and either the Performance Package Plus or Performance Package Pro (the latter has the extra gantry height) makes for a really nice setup. The one option I didn't get is the gantry lift and there have already been two times I could have used that extra height for certain furniture making tasks.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-07-2020 at 9:53 AM.
    --

Another post spindle upgrade consideration; the 1.7kw spindle comes with an air assisted counter balance installed to deal with the heavier spindle weight.
    I do not think the 1kw spindle does and would need to be installed with the upgrade - check with Camaster.

Andy Rooney

Id talk to Camaster. If you buy the 1Kw it would probably need a new VFD to upgrade a spindle later and if you bought a cheap chinese spindle it will probably cause support issues from the company not to mention you are paying quite a bit for an Italian spindle to swap with a cheap Chinese. I'd go with the 1.7 if it were me

And the indecisive saga continues. I was thinking if I forego the custom stand and the bit set, by just buying what I need as I need it, I could certainly build a hefty 36 x 60" bench for the Cnc. Maybe include a couple of drawers, etc.. Then use the monies for either a 3 kw spindle instead of the 1.7kw or perhaps the longer table. I have pretty much decided on the extra gantry height. So at this point I am considering the 2 x 4 table, Performance pro package. 3kw spindle, recoil ready,and hand held. With shipping that brings me to around 12xxx.If the 1.7 and the 3kw used the same bracket, ( doubtful ) I would stay with the 1.7 for now. Last question, I hope. Anyone build a basic en-closer with walk around space for theirs? I was thinking I would need around 30" all the way around. Thank you in advance.

I guess I made the mistake of getting a Nextwave HD4 - but it works great for me.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.