Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which CNC

PM sent your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Same response I made to Ron above...get me your user name and I'll ping the administrator on your behalf.

Thanks Jim! My user name on the CAMheads forum is David Buchhauser.

I saw a link to a location for Stinger owners. I thought it would be helpful to actually see one up close,if someone were close enough. But as of this morning I still get:
    "Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?"
    Seems like you would want potential customers to be able to see other machines, set ups etc.
    Perhaps they should adopt a policy like another woodworking forum I know. At least you can see the pics. there. Kind of like buying a car based on an option list without ever seeing the actual car up close.

Ron, I just literally saw your and David's PMs and just sent the message to ask for things to be fixed a minute ago...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I was under the impression that you had to be a Camaster owner in order to post on their site. I joined over a year ago and was approved, but when I log in, I still cannot post or view pictures.
    David

Attachment 425777 Attachment 425778
    all new registrations receive an email to verify acct . this is the spam protection, most get them the others generally are emailing from a acct which is picked up as spam in the new registers incoming email

I actually save all new member registrations..

i have a post on new members and FAQ that explains how to contact me and what I need to help, just having the name does little for time use. I need the screen names most of all i can really rock when I have this.

My Email is mcgrew 636 at msn dot com or you can pm me on the CAMheads forum

Ron and David Are now cleared on CAMheads

If your a CAMhead or looking at any of the machines they offer you should:

1. Get to know Jim McGrew. He is CAMasters biggest fan and I suspect he has owned and operated almost every machine CAMaster has produced. Jim also hosts and annual Aspire even in his cabinet shop in South Carolina, the CNC work he and his staff have produced is just amazing. You can get more information about the annual Aspire Event here in our CNC Forum, its scheduled for April. I hope to be there his year, I have attended at least four of the Aspire events over the years, you cannot go anywhere and have access to the amount of information that Jim's event provides. Three days of organized classes and access to one on one conversations with some of the big names in our industry. I am currently trying to organize my schedule so I can be there this year. When I attend find me, I often have some FreeStuff to give away to my SawMill Creek Friends.

2. The CAMheads Forum contains a wealth of information. For CAMaster owners its a must join community.

3. There is a world class hot dog stand just a few miles for Jim's shop

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    If your a CAMhead or looking at any of the machines they offer you should:

1. Get to know Jim McGrew. He is CAMasters biggest fan and I suspect he has owned and operated almost every machine CAMaster has produced. Jim also hosts and annual Aspire even in his cabinet shop in South Carolina, the CNC work he and his staff have produced is just amazing. You can get more information about the annual Aspire Event here in our CNC Forum, its scheduled for April. I hope to be there his year, I have attended at least four of the Aspire events over the years, you cannot go anywhere and have access to the amount of information that Jim's event provides. Three days of organized classes and access to one on one conversations with some of the big names in our industry. I am currently trying to organize my schedule so I can be there this year. When I attend find me, I often have some FreeStuff to give away to my SawMill Creek Friends.

2. The CAMheads Forum contains a wealth of information. For CAMaster owners its a must join community.

3. There is a world class hot dog stand just a few miles for Jim's shop
    The Sad note is Sandy's Hot dogs closed on December 31 after Decades in business,, he Retired !

Cromers is now just Up the street and they have a mean Hot dog, Heck talking about them is gonna lead me to one ! LOL

Kieth you have been a friend though my entire CNC education a relationship I cherish, I am coming to a point where we may move and the Camps may not be held here after this Year

So far we are over 1/2 booked and seats are available I always look forward to seeing all of You !

So much for no more questions. Anyone have and use the lathe option that I can chat with? Also what is the Gantry made of? Steel or Aluminum? I am convinced now that the closer I get to obtaining one of these, the more questions I will have.

Ron, the Recoil Lathe is an ornamental lathe...it excels at asymmetric work (carving) and wrapping 3D in 360º. It's not a traditional lathe that's designed for doing "spinny things" and doesn't replace a regular lathe, although some folks have done some interesting adaptations around that idea. My suggestion..."Recoil Ready" is only a small expense and gets you set for 4th axis work if you find you have an actual use case without the larger expense of the Recoil lathe, itself upfront. Many folks buy the Recoil Lathe and find they never use it. The Stinger series (I, II, and III) machines have heavy aluminum gantries. The production focused Panther and Cobra machines have steel gantries. It's not something to worry about...despite some vendors trying to say that their steel is better than your aluminum. It isn't in these machines.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    Ron and David Are now cleared on CAMheads

James & Jim,
    Thanks for your help!
    David

+1 Thank you.

Ron,

There are plenty of YouTube videos that provide a wealth of information about Recoil lathes. I believe that Vectric also has some pretty good videos concerning how their software interacts with the lathe. Most of the CNC lathes I have seen would be easy to add a manual tool post and rest so you can do a little manual tweak when its to your advantage. The lathe cannot provide the same high speeds as a manual one, the router bit provides that feature so if you need to do some manual work on our Recoil lathe you need to take that into consideration.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-13-2020 at 10:59 AM.

I don't know about any one else, but some of those you tube videos can put me right to sleep. Staring at a computer too long has a tendency to do that, unless I am actively doing something on the magic box. I haven't messed with computer languages since the days of Fortran and Pascal, Cobol. Many moons ago. Any recommendations on good books on G code, etc? It will give me something to read at the Fire House in the evenings.

I bought the first edition of this book back in 2003 and used it to learn basic cnc g-code programming for my cnc mill and cnc lathe. The same principles apply to the cnc router.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/CNC-Programmi...=UTF8&me=&qid=

cnc programming.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 02-17-2020 at 12:46 AM.